Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drivin' an Acme cab with a 1001RB II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 59jazz, Feb 12, 2006.

1. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I'm considering a 4 ohm Acme B-2 cab for my GK 1001RB. I'm playin' a passive 5'r for gospel, jazz, r&b,funk gigs....no dinosaur metal tribute gigs. I have seen others play 800 watt @4 ohm class "D" amps (Iamp 800) thru this cab with ease. I'm wondering if the new "H" class amp that GK offers, could keep up with a slightly higher wattage class "D" amps? GK states that the "H" provides smoother and quicker transient response, when slapping or playing aggressive rock. I'm not looking to cut thru a guitar ladened mix, just a small gospel rhythm section...20 voice choir.

2. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    A class H amp is basically a class AB amp with multiple voltage rails for the output devices. For example, a 2 tier class H would have a high and low voltage rail and switch between the two depending on the the required output.

I'm guessing that the difference would be simply 800watts@ 4 ohms and 700 watts@ 4 ohms or, 100 watts. I've never used an Acme B2 but I have used my GK 1001rb2 driving a 4 ohm 2-12 cab and it had plenty of output so I'm thinking you should be fine. Also, class H isn't a new technology. It can be found in most higher powered amps for example: the larger Crest CA amps, the larger QSC RMX amps, the larger PLX/PLX2/PL2 amps, Crest Pro 200 etc.

3. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Thanks guys!

Joshua, did have to crank the GK's master volume all the way to obtain useable stage volume? It would be nice to have some headroom.

Thanks, Steve

4. I don't see any problem with the GK at all, but make sure you read the many, many positive and negative posts about the Acme's prior to purchasing... they are a very unique sounding and performing cab that many love and many dislike.

5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Indeed. Though for your needs it sounds perfect.

Andy recently mentioned that he recently had a 20 month stretch with just one return - that's one hell of a success rate on the trial period!

Testament to the masses on info on the net regarding these cabs ensuring that those who buy them make a well informed decision, and the abundance of high power amps available nowadays ensuring that users can really hear the Acmes doing their thang without being hamstrung by a lack of ooomph.

Alex