Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drivin N Cryin

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JWC, Dec 28, 2000.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Drivin N Cryin, the band, are almost revered as Gods here in Georgia where I live. They are from a town about an hour and a half away from me, and I remember loving them since middle school. They did Fly Me Courageous, Honeysuckle Blue, and Straight To Hell, among other great songs. Fly Me Courageous was on MTV for a while but I think they disappeared from the national scene after that. They still are big here, but do radio stations still play this band where you guys and girls live??? My cousin told me they have gone back to regional status.

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I live in GA too...Columbus...and even here, they've almost stopped playing their stuff. Every now and then, I'll hear a tune on the radio. All the cover bands still play "Straight To Hell", though.

3. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I live not too far from Athens in Augusta. Kevin Kinney plays acoustic shows here about 4 or 5 times a year. I have played "Straight To Hell" in a band before. To be honest, the last time being earlier this month. 95 Rock, our rock station, plays HoneySuckle and Fly Me all the time, but mostly Honeysuckle.

4. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Endorsing Artist: David Eden Amplifiers / Rob Wave Custom basses
    This is Kevn Kinney's new band. They are great but I am biased. There will be a new record released on September 21
    Buy a copy. Dave Schools plays on two of the songs. I play bass on the rest!

5. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I haven't heard them in years here in Virginia. They rocked (rock) too.

6. Kevin Kinney is from around here, he used to do acoustic shows after DnC folded.

I still love the Fly Me Courageous album. In fact, I'm going to throw that on now!

7. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I miss them and The Producers as well.

8. thrasher717

thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    I think I saw them at Farm Aid, of all places.

My band covers "Fly Me Courageous" -- we've played it at every show for the last three years and even included it on our demo CD.

9. What they got, that I ain't got?

Haven't we done this one before?

10. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Wow the Producers! Thats a name I havn't heard in years.

First time I ever used a 10" splash cymbal on my drum kit was to cover "She Sheila" Had to buy one back then. don't think I used one since.

I think that was around 1988.

What ever happened to them?

Drivin and Cryin used to get air play around LA / So. Cal. in the late 80's / early 90's but havn't heard them on the air in years.

11. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Endorsing Artist: David Eden Amplifiers / Rob Wave Custom basses
    They are still playing shows. They never stopped. In fact, I will be playing two shows with them in August (as Tim Neilsen won't be able to be there) in Alabama. They put out an EP last year that is available on their website http://www.drivinncryin.com

Kevn Kinney's Sun Tangled Angel Revival is Kevn newest band with Dave V. Johnson (drivin n cryin / Slave Davies) on drums and me, Bryan Howard (Slackdaddy) on bass. We are about to release our first record together on September 21. It is amazing working with Kevn and the myriad of incredible guests (including Dave Schools) join us.

We will be touring pretty extensively upon its release. We have actually been playing in Virginia a good bit lately.

I always enjoy reading this forum. There seem to be some great folks on here who care about live music. I don't mean for this post to come across as a big ad but I saw the thread today and couldn't help but respond. They are great musicians and if you haven't heard Kevn or DnC lately you will be quite surprised at his guitar playing. If you come to a show please let me know and introduce yourselves. I love meeting musicians but the bass players are a brotherhood.

Rock on!
    Slackdaddy

12. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    They got you-that's what they got! HEY!

13. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama

We used to play "What's he got?" I used to struggle on the drums because that song is sooooo fast.

14. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    HTML:
    [QUOTE=Stinsok]We used to play "What's he got?" I used to struggle on the drums because that song is sooooo fast.[/QUOTE]
    I remember "what's he got?" but never played it. Had that album on Cassette years ago. Got rid of everything Vinyl or cassette about three years ago. that Producers tape was in the box. I'm kicking myself for doing that. :scowl:

15. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    Awwright!!! An old dude thread!!

My favorite song from "Fly Me Courageous" is the accoustic ballad, "Let's Go Dancin'". Special meaning for the wife and me....

As for the Producers...... how about "Dear John"

Peace,
    Fo

16. or "I Love Lucy". A female singer that sat in with us a few weeks ago claimed to know Wayne Famous (keyboardist w/ the producers). Apparrently, he's still in the Atlanta area and records and plays the occasional gig. They had some great songs that always worked with the crowd.

and DnC were pretty good on record but were always good live.

17. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I love Lucy is my favorite.

18. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    The last "new" music I heard from DnC was a kinda mellow song called "Tellin' Stories."