Driving a Hartke 4X10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Licketysplit, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Licketysplit

Mar 15, 2000
    I recently bought my very first cabinet for a very nice price :D

However, I can't decide on which head to drive it with. It is a Hartke 4X10 transporter series cab. I really love the modern tone with a little mmmph, my band is a new age type of jam band (think Dave Matthews mixed with the Chili Peppers funk plus a little flecktonesque jazz thrown in) I was thinking something lower than 600 bucks cause I am very near broke right now. I want a kind of bright sound (which is why I got the Hartke cab in the first place) but not too bright, with enough low end to really pack a punch. Kind of hard to describe the tone I really want but anywho...

I've been looking into the Hartke 3500 head, the SWR 4004, and the carvin 1000 watt head. Which one of these would you guys opt for? Or if you know of a better amp to try out please lemme know! ;)
  2. Tightanic

Tightanic Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2000
    Well, I wouldn't consider driving a 300 Watts cab with a 1000 Watts head, even if it only put out 700 or something at 8 Ohms. I think the Hartke 3500 would be a nice match, and you can read some recently posted thread(s) on this amp, just take a look at the amps section!

3. Got for the SWR wm4004 ! i've got one, and i love it. it has real deep lows and good mids & highs. blend-able fx-loop, di out, tuner out, etc.

best amp in it's range imho.

I tried the hartke 4000 too, but i had the feeling that i was unable to pump the 400watts out of it, where the workingman's had more juice.
  4. Actually, with the Carvin R1000 you could run off one of the two power amps,giving you 225 watts into the 8 ohm cab which would be perfect. This would let you add another cab later to run off of the other amp. Very reliable and great sounding amp.:)
  5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    In that comparison, the Carvin in a heartbeat. No hesitation.
  6. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    IMO the carvin is in a different league than the other amps you mentioned. ive got the 600 watter, damn nice. id say go for the R1000 in a flash.