Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Driving Across Country

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ldiezman, Mar 6, 2003.

1. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I'm flying out to San Fransico on Saturday March. 8 and meeting my older brother out there who is moving back to South Carolina so that He can Attend Grad. school in the Fall. We are Driving back taking the Southern route of course.

I was wondering if anyone has made this trip before and if so how was it for you? It would be great to meet any TBers possible along the way if they are on the way.. but I guess I should have posted this sooner so i could have discussed that further.. oh well..

This is my spring break trip. The longest drive i've gone one was to Conn. a few years ago.. but that was on a van and I wasn't driving.. so this should be something to Remember.. I just hope I make it back in one piece ;) :)

2. I havn't done that long of a haul before but i've done quite a few Mass. to Florida Trips Driving. I think as long as you got some good music playing in your car the trip won't be as incredibly boring.;)

Good luck and safe journeys:)

3. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    awesome man...I would love to ride accross the country. Yeah good tunes are necesary for a trip like that. Have fun man.

4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I did the drive from NC to AZ.
    I think I did it over two days.

Beautiful. Just me and my dog.

Oh yeah, and lots of music.

5. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have done the drive three times myself and many other times through touring. I did LA to NYC by myself two years ago. It is awesome. Don't hurry and take time to see some of the sites. Figure out your route and then try to figure out what is to see along the way. The last trip I did, I camped out a lot and saw the Grand Canyon and quite a few other sites.

Enjoy the trip, there is nothing quite like it......

6. Yeah - lots of music is a must (& lots of styles to suit the changing scenery).

How far south are you thinking. I've done both the I-40 & I-70 corridors (well it's not all the way on them), for the most part they're both great.

Watch out for piles of unlucky prairie dogs :D

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah my whole plan is to listen to alot of music... I just hope everything goes smoothly... or as smooth as possible.. we shall see i suppose.. If i'm not back posting in a week.. send someone out to look for me ;) :D

8. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I have taken that trip more times than I would like to think about. I was born in North Carolina, but I had lots of family in Southern California, so once or twice a year until we moved out here I took that trip. The last time I did was when we moved to California, which was a while ago.

It really is along trip, and I would suggest you bring plenty of stuff to do. I find that books on tape and music really do help the time.

Have a safe trip.

9. Whoa, that's heavy. When I go from Chicago to Berkeley this summer, I'm budgeting four days--although that's to take advantage of crash space in Salt Lake City.

How'd you split the trip, Zulu? I can't drive for more than 12 hours a day; I go stir-crazy otherwise.

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Here's a tip: take breaks from driving. Take whole bunch of them. See the sights as you go. And if you're tired, it's better to crawl to backseat for a nap than drive when you can't keep your eyes open - you might wanna lock your doors while doing this, though.

I've done couple of trips where I was behind the wheel for five or ten hours with little or no sleep the night before and just one or two coffee breaks in the middle. Not very much fun.

11. I do take naps--every four or five hours, I'll stop at a rest stop and grab 15-20 minutes of shuteye. (In my case, I hyper-recline the front seat.)

12. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I did LA>NYC in about 3 1/2 days by myself a few years ago.
    I used lots of RedBull. I was able to do about 1000 miles a day on the stuff. Much more effective than coffee.......

13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    By the way Peter, it was actually ment for Idiezman. No worries, mate.

[old female teacher voice]
    <i> Well I see your nap matters are well tended to, young man. Good day to you! </i>
    [old female teacher voice off]

14. I havn't done that long of a haul before but i've done quite a few Mass. to Florida Trips Driving. I think as long as you got some good music playing in your car the trip won't be as incredibly boring

The drive from Massachusetts much be hilariously boring; you are on 95 for on like 1000 miles. I plan on hopefully driving from Syracuse, NY to Miami, FL this summer if possible. I need to buy a car CD player.

I do take naps--every four or five hours, I'll stop at a rest stop and grab 15-20 minutes of shuteye. (In my case, I hyper-recline the front seat.)

Word to that too.

15. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    my brother has made the trip 2 times already.. the last time he was driving with my father.. they made the trip in 3 days! we are going for hopefully 4 days.. it all depends on when we get through texas....

We are going to go for 14 hours a day... which seems a bit long for me... but Thats what My brother did Both times.. so we'll see. I'm looking forward to it. It will definately be an experience :D

16. I've done it 3 times. 4 days of 9-12 hr drives is the way to go.

In my opinion there is nothing to see between the rockies and appalachians.

17. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    i love long drives, try to make it to tampa a couple times a year. i usually drive over-night, try to leave around 7 pm and on a good night i can there around 7 am. there's something terribly wonderful about barrelling through the night in a big ass american made sports car....its just a great feeling.

oh and pete, don't sleep at rest stops. killer truckers abound. i get off at an exit, park behind the nearest nice hotel: nobody bugs you, relatively free of traffic, and free breakfast if you like.

18. :D

On the Chicago-Ithaca route, which is almost entirely on toll roads, most rest stops get a lot of traffic--people would see a killer trucker.

I would never take a nap at an isolated freeway rest stop.

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I made the trip from Houston to Santa Cruz, CA and back at the beginning and end of the summer of '98. We took I-10. It took us two days of driving 85-90 mph to get to Santa Cruz. We got to Phoenix on the first night. We took three days coming back due to car trouble and sight-seeing. The hardest part is getting out of Texas, because you can drive literally ALL day and never get out of TX if you go the speed limit. That makes it feel like forever when you're not crossing states for some reason.

All that time speeding (usually 90) and we only got one ticket (in Arizona). I don't usually speed honestly but it was my friend's car and he set the standard. ;)

brad cook

20. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    I have done many road trips across the country. All starting in Virginia: Florida (several times), Texas, Colorado, California (twice), Maine.

Definitely take the time to see the sights along the way. You never know when you will get another chance. My personal favorites: the Grand Canyon, Colorado mountains, Mesa Verde, the painted desert. Also driving the Pacific Coast Highway on the coast of California is amazing.