1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Driving an Ampeg VR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NAS Bass, May 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. NAS Bass

NAS Bass Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2006
    London, ENGLAND
    I've asked this in a thread in the effects forum, but feel its worth asking here.

I'm looking for recommendations for an OD to use in front of my Ampeg VR for smaller gigs when i cant wind it up to around 11 o'clock + on the volume. So, it would be an always on pedal for those gigs.

Anyone got any experience or thoughts on this? I've tried this with a few others - SFT, Beta, UD but all a bit to 'gainy'. All i want is my driven VR tone but when the VR can't do it on its own, if that makes sense??

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I use a VTBass pedal.

A pedal that overdrives the input without adding a lot of dirt works well. A treble boost can do this. You have to watch the settings and find the right balance between the pedal and amp input gain.

DaveDeVille likes this.
  3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Look for a “transparent” overdrive. Something to add a little hair and girth without too much of a baked in sound. I like a Timmy for this, but everyone has their favorites.

4. jdubbass38

jdubbass38

Mar 20, 2009
    I run the Ampeg SCR-DI in front of my Ampeg v4b’s and SVT-2pro for that nice break up when I’m not able to turn up loud enough. The v4b is also a nice option to get the grind at lower volumes.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    My two favorites are the Ampeg Scrambler and Tech 21 VT. VT is nice because it has a speaker sim built in, but the Scrambler has a very cool sound that sounds a lot like cranking an SVT to crazyland.

DaveDeVille likes this.
  6. rickdog

rickdog Gold Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2010
    You could even try just a clean boost in front of it. This would let you overdrive the preamp tubes before the volume control.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Only thing about that is what do you do if you need a clean tone? Can't have your OD boosted so hot that your clean sound disappears. That's why I use pedals. Sure, I'd rather have tubes blazing, but I can't even turn up a PF-50T that loud, let alone an SVT!

8. rickdog

rickdog Gold Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Good point... but OP said "it would be an always on pedal for those gigs." So it would work for that, but not if some songs need to be clean and some need some overdrive.

JimmyM likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021