driving - Do you "signal" when changing lanes?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Jun 25, 2020.

  1. never

  2. sometimes

  3. always

  4. I care about vehicles & vehicle in Thai is "rot", so I care-rot (carrot)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Killed_by_Death

    Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

    Alik, TolerancEJ, DrMole and 3 others like this.
  2. Peteyboy


    Apr 2, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Signaling? You mean having the break-even level of courtesy that gives the guy you're cutting off the chance to compensate for your arbitrary drift? Don't be silly, everyone here has makeup to apply and texts to send and burgers to eat.
    Pacman, Recon1342, Jefenator and 14 others like this.
  3. Oddly


    Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Yes, with the caveat that if there's absolutely no other traffic or pedestrians to see me do it, then possibly not.
    Jeff K, EagleMoon, fhm555 and 13 others like this.
  4. Selta


    Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I pretty much always do. On my motorcycles 100% of the time, don't even care if the road is empty, it's just habit and muscle memory to, just like checking over my shoulder instead of only using mirror.
    In cars, if the road is totally empty, I generally still do even on empty roads. Especially in my Tesla, since it's autopilot will change lanes for me if I hit the turn signal.
    Jeff K, zontar, viper4000 and 8 others like this.
  5. Yes, it drives me cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs when people just drift over in front of me.
    Alik, HughC, mikewalker and 1 other person like this.
  6. Na...
    The world knows to get out of my way. :bag:
  7. jointus


    Sep 20, 2003
    Yes I do.
    I drive a truck that weighs 12,000 lbs., so I drive like everyone else's life depends on it.
  8. Always.
    But I live in South Florida, so it's me and like maybe two other people.
    Jeff K, Bassbubble11, zontar and 13 others like this.
  9. RattleSnack


    Sep 22, 2011
    Always. But law in my country says it is not required after overtaking, when I am returning to my lane, so I skip it most often.
  10. Gorn

    Gorn Supporting Member

    Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Always, when it matters.
    Nashrakh likes this.
  11. 2saddleslab

    2saddleslab Supporting Member

    May 30, 2003
    ALWAYS! Few things pi$$ me off more. Except people using the passing lane as their personal driving lane.
    dwm74 and Nashrakh like this.
  12. bholder

    bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

    Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Yeah, I always have. But now, with my Tesla, the signal is how I change lanes, since I'm virtually always in autopilot on multi-lane highways. :D
  13. FrenchBassQC

    FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

    Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Always and when I say always I mean always... It drives me nuts to see drivers who thinks you can read minds.
    drummer5359, P_Robyn, GregC and 3 others like this.
  14. Nashrakh


    Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I'm fresh out of driving school, if anything I stick to rules and regulations and tempo limits too much judging by my fellow motorists...
    Oddly, GregC and bholder like this.
  15. hbarcat

    hbarcat Supporting Member

    Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    zontar and bholder like this.
  16. Killed_by_Death

    Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

    I've started casually keeping track of how many actually signal & it's about 20%, the other 80% just switch lanes with no indication, sometimes abruptly so!
    of course I'm commenting only about my area, within about 15 miles distance from home
    DirtDog likes this.
  17. Richland123


    Apr 17, 2009
    My pet peeve is people who don't signal. As if there is so much effort to flick the turn signal switch. Like I know when somebody is going to change lanes or turn. I own an insurance agency and failure to signal is one of the Top 10 reasons for car accidents for all car insurance companies.
    Recon1342 and TNCreature like this.
  18. Killed_by_Death

    Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

    The reason is because they're on the phone.
    That's not a joke, it's the reality of it. One hand isn't free to signal, because they're holding their phone. No one uses bluetooth apparently!
    gebass6 likes this.
  19. dwm74


    Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sounds like Phoenix, too.

    I love the idiots who as soon as they get on the freeway, feel the need to zip across three lanes over to the fast lane, then they settle in nice and comfortable at a slower speed than the other lanes they just left. Nothing like a pace car in the passing lane. :rage:
  20. two fingers

    two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

    Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If there are other cars within a hundred yards or so, yes. If not, no.
    gebass6 likes this.