1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Driving Long Distances to Band Practice

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by canadian bass, Mar 25, 2006.

1. I was driving to band practice last night, and thought to myself I wonder how many people travel to great lenghts to get to band practice?
    I moved 8 months ago but before I moved band practice used to be 240 KM or 149Miles one way and I would often leave work on Friday dive the 240Km in 2 and half hours, practice for 3 hours and drive back making for a total of 8 hrs.
    Now my current situation is 130km or 81 Miles one way and 1 and half hours for a total of 6hrs.
    Does anyone else travel long distances for band practice?

2. I joined a band late last year that requires me to drive an hour each way to practice once a week. They're good musicians and good people, but if there weren't very good paying gigs on the way, I wouldn't even consider it.

3. For me it's not so much the pay of the gigs. I have been playing in one form or another with these guys since High School. These guys are my closest friends and it's like we can read each others mind. I have often thought about joining a band closer to home but I think I am too scared to play with other people. I am the weakest link in my band I am not saying I am a bad player but the few times I have played with others I don't know any of the songs they play and I am the type of person who has to go home sit next to the computer and play the song over and over, so in a practice enviroment with new people I feel I hold everyone back. I think thats why I drive crazy distances to practice it's a comfort thing.

4. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    That's my distance too. I used to study and have this band with friends (very talented ones too) and we were trying to get a steady lineup for years... now that we (almost) have one, I can't leave this band. I've been playing with the guitarist for seven years now, he's one of my best friends, this band is like our child. I usually go there by train on weekends, takes a couple of hours, then I stay at his place, we do a couple of rehearsals and I return to my town on sunday or monday morning to go to work.
    It can get a bit tiring, but there's nothing like a good band with good friends.

Edit: we don't get paid, we rarely gig, it's purely for the fun of it and the creative process

5. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I drive about 60 miles each way once a week. With no traffic, it takes about an hour as it is mostly highway. However, I do sometimes get caught in traffic when I go through the city. That can add another half-hour or so.

I've been in this band for about 2 1/2 years now. My bandmates are all very talented musicians and great people to boot. It's hard to find a situation like that, so I put up with it.