Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Driving Music

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Oct 14, 2005.

1. In a few weeks, I'm planning a roadtrip with a friend of mine. We're going from Long Island (NY) to North Carolina to visit a friend in college. A trip of about 7-10 hours, depending on traffic. I'll be bringing a bunch of my CDs for the trip, but only driving music. Among the roster will be stuff like Widespread Panic, Porcupine Tree, Liquid Tension Experiment, Jaco (a must), Stanley Clarke, assorted metal, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, and a bunch of others.

Now, I need some suggestions for more, preferrably new, music for the ride. Anything good for driving, you know, stuff that flows good and won't get me bored and tired at the wheel, and something that follows a similar theme to what I've already listed (jambands, bass-heavy jazz etc) Thanks in advance.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    at night, the one type of music that I can never get enough of in the car is jungle. I can always listen to jungle when I'm driving at night, and it always makes for a great driving experience.

3. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    [​IMG]

This is great music for driving along, in my opinion anyhow.

Take care and be safe.

4. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I'd say anything by The Mars Volta, Galactic or Karl Denson's Tiny Universe would be good; they always get me in the groove when driving. ZZ Top's "Fandango" is also a pretty good one. Sounds like you need a subscription to XM radio, if you don't already. They play Panic, Porcupine Tree and Liquid Tension Experiment along with lots of other cool prog/jam band stuff on channel 51 "Music Lab". Just something to think about...... :cool:

5. Check out Songs for the Deaf by Queens of the Stone Age. Great album, really good driving music.

6. Jeeze. With the exception of ZZ Top, I don't know any of these suggestions. What's jungle? Isn't that some kind of techno? If so, no thanks. Tony Williams rings a bell, but I can't remember who it is. I've heard of the Mars Volta, but I have no idea what it is, same with the rest of your stuff Ineal.
    And Ineal, a friend of mine recently bought a new Chevy Cobalt SS that came with a free 6 months of XM. I wasn't impressed at all. I only found like 3 stations playing anything good, and that changed as soon as the song ended. Too much money for a whole lot of nothing, and a few good stations. Not worth it IMO.

7. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Nothing beats Iron Maiden for road trips. I've shaved 30-40 minutes off a 6+ hour trip by listenting to Live After Death and Powerslave all the way.

:)

8. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Galactic is a funky jam band from New Orleans; KDTU is more funky jam band stuff. The Mars Volta: they don't like to be pigeon-holed, so you decide.

Galactic
    Karl Denson
    The Mars Volta

It takes some getting used to as far as finding cool things on XM; there's so much on there its hard to just turn it on and start digging it immediately. YMMV

9. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Radar Love by Golden Earring. It isn't jazz or jamband but its a song about driving

10. My driving alone to and from work music is At the Drive-in's Vaya cd, a perfect blend of soft and heavy.

Suggestions? The Mars Volta. Pop in Frances the Mute and let it go for all of 70 minutes. It's a non-stop ride that keep changing and progressing, never getting boring. During some long bits the music will calm down and you'll barely notice, and slowly it'll pick up and transition into something else. It's perfect driving music, at least for me. I'm not the kind of guy who likes to blast rock anthems with the windows down. If you're looking for that, may I suggest Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet, the ultimate singalong album. I've blasted that cd with friends, it's excellent.

11. Muse - Origin of Symmetry has some great driving music and great bass playing.

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    In a sense, Jungle is to techno what Bebop is to jazz or what speed metal is to rock. Jungle is kickyouintheface, heavy beats with flowing basslines and whatever else is thrown into the mess. Raw, battering rhythms at 180-190 BPM... You couldn't hardly ask for better music to grip the wheel and punch the accelerator to. But... to each his own ;)

13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I like listening to West African pop when I have a long drive in front of me. Not juju so much, more to the soukous side of things (Congolese), or stuff with more a Malian/Senegalese tinge. People like Papa Wemba, Loketo, Tshala Muana, Franco, Tabu Ley Rochereau, Baaba Maal, Youssou N'Dour.

If you want some bass-heavy jazz, try Joe Zawinul's World Tour double live CD with Victor Bailey and Richard Bona.

14. Frankenstein--edgar winter!

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Fela Kuti is great driving music for me. Nothing like a 30+ minute groove jam to just vege out to.

16. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Queens of the stone age.

Not exactly Jazz..

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My favorite driving music is Doobie Brothers. Rockin' Down That Highway.

I have a CD I made of the "Greatest Hits" and "Greatest Hits VOlume 2" LP records which is perfect for driving.

18. soilent green-sewn mouth secret
    40 below summer-invitation to the dance
    will haven-carpe diam

watch the speedometer tho...anyone of these and youll find urself haulin much a$$ b4 u no it

19. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Traffic--"The Low Spark of High-heeled Boys"
    Henry Mancini-- "The Music from Peter Gunn"
    Any Sousa marches (I'm serious)
    Springsteen--"Born to Run"

That ought to get you started. ;)

20. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003