Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Driving test tips

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Aqueousillusion, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Aqueousillusion

Aqueousillusion

Feb 8, 2005
    I'm taking my driving test in two weeks, I am so scared to flunk! Any tips or warnings anyone can offer?

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I told the guy testing me that I was really nervous. It took a little of the edge off of me, and I think made him a little empathetic. I actually tapped a garbage can with the back of the car while parking, yet still passed. :)

3. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    DONT STOP FOR JAY-WALKER! You should slow down, but NEVER stop! My brother failed because he stopped for one.

Make sure you shoulder check but more importantly, make sure the examiner can see that you did shoulder check.

Also, watch your speed. I got a 5km/h up and down from the limit.

Last thing, if the examiner has to use the brake on your, you fail.

I passed on my first try and I only started driving for 5 days before that. I havent driven seen my roadtest and that was 2 years ago. :D

4. The best thing to do is to relax. Just drive like you normally would.....within reason. Shoulder checks are very very important IME. Just stay cool and you'll do fine I'm sure. Oh and it helps if you know the course you'll have to drive ahead of time. Practice it.

5. Aqueousillusion

Aqueousillusion

Feb 8, 2005
    Thanks guys.

6. i failed my first time, i was so nervous i made a left turn into the left lane. It was a course so no one got hurt but still.... then the 2nd time i took it I had the same instructor. I aced that crap. Parked in ONE move. IM THE MAN !

GL btw, just make sure they tell you the speed limit and STAY at it. Use your signals etc also. Turn the wheels when you park on the hills yada yada

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    If you feel the need to pray, don't close your eyes! ;)

Wulf

8. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Keep it between the ditches and out of the rhubarb patch.

DD

Seriously, know the rules of the road and go with the flow.

9. I passed my first driving test...did it "textbook perfect" aside from one minor infraction (tended to cut my left turns a little). Just relax, pay attention, and you'll do fine. One tip: when you stop at a stop sign, stoplight, etc.., make sure you make a complete stop. If the instructor's back doesn't press back into the seat, you didn't stop completely.

10. Aqueousillusion

Aqueousillusion

Feb 8, 2005

lol, thanks.

11. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Heh, that's the only thing that was taken off my driving test too. And it was partially not my fault. My mom's car broke down, otherwise I would have taken that. It was a toyota camry automatic. So I had to test with my dad's tercel manual. The reason I didn't want to test in that car was it was getting old (+10years) and the clutch was wearing out. So I had ot make a left turn from a stop light. My stick wouldn;t shift from first to second. So I was paying more attention to trying to get it in gear and I crossed the yellow line.

Same thing with my motorcycle. The only reason I got the points that were taken off because I was driving a bike I wasn't use to. The only thing I failed was the braking test, and only by about 4 inches. All during classes I usually got their early so I could get one of the honda nighthawks. I'm a shorter person and I didn't want the dirt bikes. For small engine bikes that's basically all you have for choices, a dirt bike or the nighthawk (at that time in history). The day of the test I got their late so I was stuck with one of the dirt bikes. Those things are tall. I could hardly get my feet on the ground while sitting on it.

Anyway, it isn't the end of the world if you fail it the first time. Just take deep breaths and try not to get nervous.

12. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    1.Throw away the book.
    2.put in Anthrax and turn it up all the way! Dont know why but those driving instructors just love anthrax!
    3.While pulling out use youre knees to stear and proceed to roll a huge joint in youre lap! He will think this is so awsome that he wont care about all the beer!
    4.The night before try to eat atleast one bowl of each! chili and ham - beans. Make sure ya drink a beer with it and that morning have about a half dozen eggs.

This should make you pass for sure!

13. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    First, make sure to put your seatbelt on. If you start the car without the seatbelt on, you fail (at least in CT).

Also, use a turn signal if you come upon a yield sign (got dinged for this on my test oh so many years ago).

One more thing, if a small animal happens to jump in your path, remember it's either the creature or your driver's license, you have to choose which is more important to you. ;) Remember, there are many many more squirrels where that one came from.

14. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Who cares, you get to take it 5 million times anyway.

For the 3 point turn, turn the wheel all the way BEFORE you let your foot off the brake.

15. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    :confused:

I only took one driving test to get my license.

16. Show up with a six pack and ask the instructor if he want one :D :D :D

Just relax and make sure that you have your parking and 3 point turn skills in order. Don't cross the double yellow, come to full and compleate stops, turn into the correct lane and you will be fine.

17. Don't crash.

Rock on
    Eric

18. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Also, the running over of people is sort of frowned upon.

19. OBEY THE LAW

best of luck.

20. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Just like playing bass, practice practice practice. ;)