Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

driving test

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by prophecy, May 25, 2004.

1. prophecy

prophecy

Dec 26, 2003
    Earth
    its my driving test on the 29th lol, im pretty nervous! anyone got any advice, like things i should know :)

2. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    how to drive maybe?

ho ho ho ho.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Don't close your eyes when things get scary.

brad cook

4. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Wear your seatbelt....

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Man, I wish I could help, but honestly, my Driving test was a joke. It was about 4 or 5 minutes long, We drove down the street, through an intersection, parked and backed up, turned around to the DMV and then it was done.

So, maybe you'll get a nice easy one like I did, or maybe not.

Oh, the one tip I can give, exaggerate your scanning, and do scan, even if you don't really need to, the instructor will mark you down a couple points if they think you aren't looking around. And no matter how great your peripheral and fringe vision is, they won't know unless you turn your head a bit.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    +1.

Do not say:

1) I only have to do this for the test right?
    2) I'm using the force!
    3) anything relating to donuts or any other police "jokes". The police do not find that type of humour amusing.

7. +10

that is a huge red flag if you don't look around, but don't look to often, then the tester will just think you're insane....also watch out for unmarked intersections. Its pretty much an automatic fail if you don't look, or at least slow down a little.

other than that, it's all common sense (provided you've got some, and imo, if you play the bass, you've got common sense!)

good luck,
    Charlie

8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Always signal. And not just for turning, that means for parking, also

Also, be sure to stop before crosswalks, and then pull up past the blind spot. They flunked me on that the first time I took the test.

9. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Stop short and cop a Feel! (only if its a Female BTW)

10. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    As long as you know how to drive, you should be ok. Just remember to look everywhere you can look whenever you turn or come to a stop.

11. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    don't stress
    if u have driving experience u will do fine
    firstly, take the speed at which u normally would drive and chop 5 mph off that, look around alot checking all possible risks, yield right of way at all times, and uhhh be careful

my test was such a joke infact i can summarize it
    pull on to road, left turn, pull to curb, back up 10 feet, 3 point turn, right turn, left turn

in a dazzling 3 minutes

~spots

12. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    That is odd... everyone is saying how short their tests were, but I timed mine, and it was a little over 15 minutes! I screwed up a few times, but as long as they can see that you know what you are doing, they will pass ya.

There was a chick who couldn't even get out of the damn parking lot when she was there... that must have been embarrasing as all hell.

13. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Make sure you take your foot off of the gas and "cover" the brake in the unmarked intersection situation - even if you don't need to touch the brakes.

Don't turn on the radion during the test. The DMV doesn't seem to appreciate music the way that we do....

14. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Just picture the test giver as Patty and/or Selma from the Simpsons!

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:

15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    my test was about 20 minutes...

from the DMV, right turn into a major road, left turn on to a lesser road, right into residential, a few miles of that... then back onto a major road, then back to the DMV.. lots of turns.

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    My test involved driving through a parking lot with a couple of stop signs, parking, a 3 point turn, and driving in reverse.

Anyone who has driven in Miami will tell you that it is the worst place to drive. That test shows you why. Anyone can pass.

Things I recommend. Any time you go in reverse its best to turn your head around as much as possible and even put your arm behind the passanger seat for leverage so it really looks like you are making the effort to turn around. Always lean up forward in addition to pulling the car forward when you are looking both ways at a stop sign. SIGNAL! Come to a <b>complete</b> stop any time a stop is required. I mean you should feel yourself jerk forward a bit and wait a few seconds before taking your foot off the brake.

Other than that, I cant say there is anything else to worry about.

Peace
    Nick