1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Driving with dogs on your lap

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jasmangan, Dec 5, 2015.

Tags:
  1. jasmangan

jasmangan

Jul 13, 2008
    Do these people know how f'ing irresponsible they are?

S-Bigbottom and petrus61 like this.
  2. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    This is something I was thinking of yesterday. I see it all the time and wonder what the statistics show?

3. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    I recently saw a guy driving with a dog on his lap while texting at the same time. Too bad there isn't a warning system for when people like that get on the road.

4. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
  5. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

It is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS

You can't turn the wheel to avoid an accident.

When the airbag goes off, it will likely kill the dog and throw it in your face, and might break the driver's neck as well.

These idiots don't understand that an airbag doesn't inflate with a gentle "poof" - it EXPLODES in a couple of milliseconds. BANG!

Total denial.

S-Bigbottom and Stewie26 like this.
  6. People are so stupid, it's just amazing.

mbelue likes this.
  7. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

I drive with my 35 pound pup quite a bit. Depending which vehicle I driving, he is usually in the back seat. Unfortunately, I know of no solutions out there for safely securing him like a child's seat. In the event of a sudden stop, he will become a missile. With that said, he is a great companion and I do not want to leave him at home all the time. Maybe it is time for someone to invent a well engineered and safe doggie seat.

8. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

9. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Because the needs of their pets come before the safety of your family, that's why.

Tbone76 and bolophonic like this.
  10. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    Was riding down I-5 a few years ago, and found myself behind an older car in disrepair. The driver was going at a slow but inconsistent pace. I don't follow things like that, so I moved out and went around. I confess that what I saw made me loiter a few seconds for a better look. Driver was:

eating chicken nuggets (complete with dipping sauce)
    yelling at the kid in the back seat
    reading a paperback book
    fighting with the TWO dogs on her lap.

I pulled off and called 911. I was hoping the state patrol could convince her that driving should be higher on her priority list.

GKon likes this.
  11. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
  12. El Güero

El Güero

Oct 5, 2015
    The nuggets could get cold.

The road isn't going anywhere.

Nuggets have priority.

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

In the lap I would find problematic, a tongue in my ear while I am driving is another story though.

14. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA

Right, but what if she got to the end of the book before she ran out of chicken nuggets?

15. My uncle was charged with reckless driving, when he admitted to the police that he was being orally gratified during his accident.

16. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Not only is it unsafe; but, it is illegal in some states and the driver can be fined. Dogs with their heads out of the windows is also a safety issue for the dogs being injured and drivers being distracted.

Here are some links to the dogs riding in cars laws.

States unleash laws on restraining pets while driving

New Laws Require Dogs to Be Restrained in Vehicles

Dog Law :: - State and Local Regulation > Dogs in Vehicles :: DogLaw.HugPug.com

LAWS ON SECURING ANIMALS BEING TRANSPORTED IN A VEHICLE

17. It's sad when laws have to be made to protect stupid people from themselves & harming others with their ignorance.

TheBear likes this.
  18. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

For whom? For the dog, maybe not, but that's not really the point is it? The OP is stating the obvious danger of having a dog on your lap, or otherwise untethered in the car. It doesn't take much imagination to think of the impediment to a driver's freedom of movement with a dog on their lap, maybe preventing them from steering properly, or braking, or who knows...maybe a mutt seeing a cat outside and jumping onto your right leg as you approach a junction and flooring the gas when you should be on the brakes...or the pooch licking your face and obscuring your vision as you try and negotiate a pedestrian crossing with schoolkids on it.

I have two dogs that I love dearly, but in the car they're tethered...to be honest, i don't care if the harness doesn't protect them in the case of a crash. I do care that the fact they can't dive all over me and distract my attention makes a crash far, far less likely, fo me and other road users.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If the air bag goes off, you have an instant tattoo of your dog.

20. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
    I w
    I understood the IT's original posting. Part of the inherent problem of the dog being loose on your lap is that is that it can be injured in case of an accident,or that it can jump out of the window as mentioned, as well as being distracting to the driver thus possibly adding to the possibility of an accident.
    I considered the safety of the animal as much as the distraction to the driver.