Drivingslow in the fast lane and other strange things

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Frijoles Negros, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Usually, i'm a slow lane guy. I like 60-65 mph on the highway behind a semi truck. Mellow driving.

Well, yesterday, I needed to get to gainesville fast. Not that I was late, I just needed to save some time, so I drove 75. Well, I havent done that in a while, and id like to say that i dont want to do it again. It brought back memories.

Id like to ask if anyone here-

1) camps out in the fast lane (at whatever speed - as in refuses to move over for a reason)

2) rubber-necks accidents on the side of the road.

Id like to keep the thread attack free. Id just like to see why people do these things.

Lets try and not get hot about it. Im genuinely curious and back in the slow lane.
  2. I rarely deviate much over the posted speed limit. I make my time more on maintaining a constant, even speed, going with the prevalent flow of traffic (if safe and reasonable). I have a brother-in-law that likes to drive quite fast, 85-90mph regardless of the traffic. One time, for his business, he had to go to a neighboring city 140 miles away and I decided to ride along. He was driving over 85 the entire way and I thought he must be late. About 3/4 of the way there, he commented that he didn't know what we were going to do when we arrived as we were going to be early. I asked him why he was driving so fast then and he said "I just can't stand to have anybody in front of me. I just have to be first". He said this with a tone of sincerity and even some regret of the habit. Another time (the same brother-in-law and his family), we were traveling in two vehicles from Phoenix to LA. He made a wrong turn leaving Phoenix and we found ourselves heading out on the highway ahead of them. We drove rather slowly (50-ish) for about 40 minutes until they caught up. He flew right on by us at his usual rate but I only sped up to the speed limit (OK, maybe a little over), which was as most of the other traffic. We stopped for lunch at Blythe and, after lunch, he asked me in a very irritated manner, if I was going to continue to "dog along" because he wasn't going to wait. They got to Los Angeles about 10-15 minutes ahead of us, feeling ragged for having to fight traffic. Another time - We were on a long trip with another brother-in-law and took his Suburban. His driving habit is even a bit more annoying. He maintains a very irregular speed varying between 50 and 85. He drove the first leg and, after our fuel stop, I took over the driving for the next leg. I asked him what he usually gets for mileage and he said 12mpg, never can get over 12. After the second fuel stop, he checked our mileage (3 times), then gave the calculator to me to do the calculations. He kept coming up with 17mpg and thought he must be doing something wrong. I double checked and we did get 17mpg. He never did believe it. I've got plenty of other stories, but this has gotten lengthy enough. Well anyway, I don't "camp" in the left lane, but if I'm doing the posted speed and someone flies up behind me at 90 while I'm passing slow vehicles pulling trailers up a grade, I'll get over once I've cleared the traffic. That irritates both my brothers-in-law because they believe I should get out of the way of anyone driving fast as soon as they come up on me, even if I have no place to go.
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I do neither. I only wish most people would use the proper lane and not level with cars in the slow lane.

It is kind of irritating when somebody is "lost in the fast lane" no matter their speed. I try to return to the slow lane whenever I pass.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

I hate the rubbernecking. Nothing irks me more than being in a long traffic jam and then you get to the source and realize it was jammed because of all the people that were slowing down to look at a wreck that occurred on the OTHER side of the highway!

brad cook
  5. Yes, I do agree with you, most certainly. What I was referring to about myself was not being lost in the fast lane. If I'm already doing a good rate of speed (speed limit or even a little over) while passing slow vehicles myself, I will get over to the other lane a soon as traffic permits. It's just that I don't feel guilty being in the "fast lane" if I'm already doing a good speed while passing and someone else flies up behind me at 90. They can certainly wait a few seconds while I pass my traffic. Now, if I can't maintain a decent speed myself, I'll get over behind the slower traffic right away.
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I agree. I drive a little faster than most, but stay to right, as I'm supposed to, whenever possible. I can't stand the left lane speedbumps. :D
  7. cruise control is the way of the wise.
  8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Usually it's the way of the idiot who rear ends someone. :p
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    well, now that I'm back in boston I'm not driving anymore, but, over the summer I drove quite a bit and I usually always camped out in the slow lanes, often behind a big truck, partially because it's mellow, but also because my jeep wrangler could barely go 70 MPH! :D
  10. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Cruise control is the bomb...unfortunately mine is out right now. :(

brad cook
  11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I like the fast lane. I hate people who go slow in the fast lane... bastards.

80mph all the way... :p
  12. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Well, the traffic in the Bay Area sucks and I commute everyday so I definitely find myself in the fast lane at all times. I drive way the hell too fast, but when you are stuck at 5mph on the freeway for 90% of your road time, when traffic clears and you are capable of going 80+ then it's pedal to the metal. It's soooo nice to be able to actually get where you're going at a reasonable time. And I hate people who get in the fast lane and go under 60 next to a truck in the right lane and do not notice the mile of cars stacking up behind them. But I also can't stand the people that go zipping around everyone, changing lanes and thinking it's actually going to accomplish something and in the meantime they're endangering people's lives.

On the rubbernecking thing, that just drives me crazy. People here cause traffic jams because of a new sign on the side of the road, because the local pumpkin patch is coming in, because a cow is flipping them off, I really don't know but few things are more frustrating.
  13. Couldn't agree more. It drives me nuts when I'll watch someone pass every car they come across on the expressway, then I'll end up right behind them on the off-ramp. I mean, how much time did it really save them to fly around every car, in and out of traffic, and then, I still end up right behind them anyways?! Drives me nuts...

But I also hate when the blue hairs poke 45 mph in the fast lane too. So, I guess I like a happy medium. ;)
  14. I normally always drive about 5 over the speed limit. Hardly ever stay to the right though.
  15. I can't drive, but if I could, and were in a bad mood, I would prolly drive really slow in the fast lane. Thats how mean I would be, you all have a year to prepare.
  16. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I hate when I pass someone in the fast lane going about 75 and then some fool going 85 runs up and gets right on my bumper because I'm just not passing fast enough.

brad cook
  17. My rule of thumb.

Go as fast as the majority of the traffic.

Be polite, I believe heavily in karma, so I drive like others should drive.
  18. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I drive pretty fast on the highway, most of them around here are 4-6 lines (in one direction) so I just make my way through them as needed, I'm not a jerk to anyone and if I have nowhere to go I will slow down before cutting someone off. On a trip to naples once I made it in just over an hour on Alligator Alley, safe the whole way, slowed down and waited to pass when I needed to and when I could passed with a safe distance between me and the next car.
  19. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I usually get in the fast lane, go 80, and put on the cruise control on and mellow out.

And I still get people who think i should move because i'm "not going fast enough". So i guess i'm the type that goes in the fast lane and refuses to move. But hey, i'm already going 10 over. I like my cruise control, I don't want to move into the slow lane so someone else can pass me every 2 minuts, then I have keep resetting the cruise control over and over thus defeating it's purpose.

So i just let them go around me, i'm sure it annoys them, but o well.
  20. My major pet peeve when driving is when your driving (this applies to street or freeway) and someone passes you, only to slow down. I don't care if you change lanes in front of me, as long as you're going faster than I am! I'm not known to have a hot temper, but thats one thing that really ticks me off.

And if you're not doing 70 (in some cases, 75 or 80), please stay out of the fastlane.