Droid vs. Iphone

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nightwolf55, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Nightwolf55

Nightwolf55

Jun 22, 2008
    Which do you guys think is better? The reason i'm asking is because i heard that iphone 4s has a metronome app, which is great considering that I don't currently own a metronome.

Does the droid have metronome apps also?
    opinions?

2. I'm all about the android OS... started with a Samsung Moment for almost 2 years, recently switched to an HTC Evo 4G. The iPhone is a great device and now that it's on my carrier, I'd almost consider it... but I haven't.

Yes there are metronome apps... couple free, few paid ones.

3. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars: Ulyate Pickups & StringJoy Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    some clarification:
    Droid= refers to motorola android phone
    Android= refers to the OS

(i used to sell phones, people got confused)

ANDROID without hesitation. Youre are considering a phone over a single app? Thats like buying a car because you like the rims. You can change it to whatever you want. Smart phones are not like older phones where you are stuck with what they give you, you can do anything you want to it. Customize it to your own, no two smart phones are alike. That being said ANDROID is a lot more user friendly IMO, and 90% of the apps available are free. AppleOS has a lot of great apps, but you will end up paying for most of them. Do your research, it sounds like you need to get out there an get ahold of something. There can be a lot of confusing information on the interweb.

EDIT:

FWIW, i have the Samsung Epic 4G and i love it! i'll never own anything but something with ANDROID from now on.

4. I work for the largest cell phone company in America. I have my choice...

Android all the way.

Motorola makes the best ones.

If you like style over substance, the Apple is good. They were once king, but Androids have surpassed them.

5. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    lol,.. a metronome app is probably the most low-tech program available! (any phone can run it)

that said,...

my friends that have the latest "Droid" blatantly wish they owned the latest IPhone.

#1 reason is the touch-screen on the IPhone is just way better! (period)

6. magic2119

magic2119

Dec 14, 2009
    Burlington, IA
    Used to have a moto droid, then a droid 3, now I have an iphone 4. I wish i could go back to Android

7. deshi00

deshi00

Mar 26, 2010
    columbus ohio
    I don't have much experience with the Android OS. But can tell you Iphone > Windows Phone

8. PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Apr 2, 2009
    New York, NY
    i got paid for a gig once.
    I have a droid, but the iPhone may be better for music because of the real-time task management in the iOS as opposed to android.

9. I have owned an iPhone for 2.5 years and love it, all except Apple's hardcore licensing with the iTunes store and how much it stinks trying to get user created videos and songs to just drag and drop on the phone unless jailbroken.

When I got my iPhone the Android OS wasn't there as far as support and applications. I use my iPhone as a phone, music player, tuner, gaming device etc etc etc.

I am out of contract and due for an upgrade. Android sales have now surpassed Apple iPhone sales and support is there. I like the idea of having more control over my phone.

I am going to get a Samsung Galaxy II. Why? I am a techie.

If you want a phone that is stupidly easy to use and don't want to customize it. Get an iPhone. If you want a bigger screen and more flexibility (with this comes an almost unregulated app store you have to be careful), get an Android phone.

Just my .02

10. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars: Ulyate Pickups & StringJoy Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    maybe if you root it. motoblur is a junked up version of android. but i do agree that android has trumped apple os.

+1

im looking to upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy II as well, I love my Epic but Id like something new.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Droid has:

USB connector
    Replaceable battery
    Memory slot

Just those three things set it so far ahead of the iPhone that I wouldn't even consider an iPhone. On the other hand, my wife and daughter have iPhones and love them.

12. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    Android...they have several metronome apps..check out Gibson's app..metronome , tuner, chord library and free.

13. Upon reading this thread, I went to my Android Marketplace and typed in "metronome". You would not believe how many are available. EDIT: And also, many of them are free. Not just "lite" apps either.

Hands down, the Android OS runs circles around the iPhone OS. I love it. I will caution you to make sure you get the right phone, because a lot of them have very weird problems and encounter weird errors. Mine does weird things like not answering calls when I slide the bar and things like that. Sadly, I've seen more Android phones do weird things than iPhone. But, if you get the right one, Android is much stronger.

On the other hand, if you're the type of person who would prefer an iPad to a fully functional laptop, I suspect you'll enjoy the iPhone. That is, the iPhone is very closed, very easy to use, almost impossible to screw up, and helps you find the right apps to easily use things.

If, however, you want anything like computer function/ customization, Android is the phone you want.

14. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I love my iPhone, but I'm an avid Apple fan. I believe where they excel is in making all of their products work together seamlessly. I have a Macbook, iPhone4, iPad2, iPod Classic and AppleTV2. Every product I get seems to enhance the usability of the other products, and the new iOS offers a ton of great features. Eagerly awaiting the imminent release of iTunes Match.

A lot of people say Android is a better OS, but I still haven't heard a convincing argument.

15. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    get the Droid dude.....

16. sharpbass

sharpbass

Oct 4, 2011
    iphone all day. I have iPhone docks in my car, office (bose) and work. Everywhere I go I just plug it in and listen to music and Pandora radio. Some of the people that I work with have droid phones and they are nice also. It seems like the people at work that own them are always talking about them as if they have to continually justify not owning an iPhone. PS: a metronome costs like $20 an iPhone is like $400, just putting that out there.

17. I have an HTC Desire HD with Android. Lotsa decent free apps including a buncha metronomes (I use visual metronome). Also, while not wishing to flame the Android vs iPhone debate, I have the option of larger SD card memory and USB connectivity without a special adaptor/dongle.

18. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Inactive

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    I own BOTH. Motorola Droid is better. iPhone feels fragile. Experience trumps convincing argument. :D

19. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    This is true, but everything is cloud-based now. Who cares how big your SD card is when everything is instantly backed up to the cloud, not to mention downloaded to your computer(photos, documents, music, etc)?

20. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Feels fragile isn't an argument at all when it comes to the OS, that's a hardware argument. Besides, what are you doing with your phone that durability matters? I've had various iPhones for 3 years and never had one break. My wife did break the glass back on her iPhone 4, but she brought it to the Apple store and they replaced it- for free.

This article gives a pretty good rundown of the various mobile OS that are available. I agree that iOS5 is the clear winner.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021