Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dromedary question for Michael

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Benjamin Strange, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I just discovered this website; Very cool! As this is my first post, I'd like to ask a question that I've wondered about ever since I picked up "The Book of Flame" 4 years ago. How did you achieve distorted tone (at 0:54) on Dromedary? That tone is sick! I love it! What's the secret?

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks so much for asking! There are several layers of crunch bass there and if I remember correctly, I used patches I made on a Digitech RP-12 and a Zoom 9002. Come to think of it, I seem to remember sampling a crunch tone from one of those boxes and playing it back on a keyboard for one of the layers as well. I wanted it to have a little more scary/mechanical feel and my sampler has a pretty fat sound.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Thanks for the reply, Michael. Due to your utmost coolness, I'll let you in on one of my favorite bass distortion secrets: the ZVex Machine. It's an odd-order harmonics fuzz pedal. Basically it keeps your dynamics and low end intacts, and destroys everything else! Check it out, but don't tell anybody! Sshh!

www.zvex.com

P.S. I played the Book of Flame over the intercom at my place of gainful employment, Guitar Center, today. Everybody seems to dig that one. When's the next cd coming out?

4. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks for letting me know about the ZVex. I'll have to check it out. But I won't tell anyone if you don't!

With a little luck, the new solo album should be out within a few months. I'll post the latest news at www.manthing.com.