Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drones

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by EFischer1, Dec 4, 2003.

1. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    I've been practicing with single pitcj drones for a long time and today I played in my lesson with a tonic-and-fifth drone. I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find a CD of these drones or if they are available on the internet. Thanks.

2. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    My tuner does this...

3. I practice with a Dr. Beat metronome, and it will play any note in something like four octaves. Pretty handy. As far as multiple pitches, I'd use some software like cakewalk or something similar. Or a keyboard would work pretty well too... Let us know what you find. I find practicing with a drone very helpful sometimes; particularly when i'm having one of those bad intonation days. You know the ones, where for some reason you just can't play anything in tune... :p

4. Try practicing at your local retirement home and ask one of the oldsters what he did during the Depression. :D

Seriously, though, you could just try taping down a key on a cheap synth, or something like that.

5. You want bass drones?

Check this out..... www.bazantar.com

By the way, Dan Hatchez installed all this stuff on this guys bass!

6. msw

msw

Aug 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Here is a CD that is a great source of drones and a very good tool to improve intonation and also time. www.thetuningcd.com/

7. that bass is amazing Paul; any idea where I could find more info or pictures of it?

8. Isn't it? HE was here in Denver. I didn't hear him play. Isn't there a contact # or email on that site? I dunno, Do a search on google. Were there any downloadable cuts from CDs on the site? I'll look and let you know, you too!
    A friend has a CD...it is real similar, of course, to Indian sounding stuff. The bazantar is bizarre!

9. The site is great; he has a bunch of really good clips on it. The instrument sounds great! I tried some searches and couldn't find much info, but I'd love to find out more about what's been done to that bass and maybe see some pictures. From the few pics on the site it looks pretty extreme... cool! :D

10. Toman, if you're excited by this, why don't you contact Robertsons in Phoenix? Dan Hatchez did ALL the work on this instrument when he was working for Robertson. You could probably talk directly to Dan. I hear from Branstetter and Bob Monroney that Dan is very accessible and helpful! I'll contact my friends who hosted this guy in Denver when he was in town and try to post the info. later today.

11. I don't see your problem man...under bookings, there's an email add.

12. lol... no problem here! I was just saying I think it's interesting, thats all. :cool:

13. Yeah, I just got the impression that you weren't getting the info you wanted.
    As long as you're happy Darling!

14. I think you need to get more sleep Paul. I know that you know that Robertsons is in Albuquerque not Phoenix. And... I've also heard that Dan Hachez is accessible and helpful, but unfortunately I have not met him in person. I did get to play, examine and photograph his basses while I was at Robertsons. However, all the people I met at Robertsons, especially Aaron Robertson, were great to me and very informative.

15. You're right Bob...I have no idea where Phoenix came from! It's getting old out! I did think you met Dan though.

16. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    Thanks for all of the responses. I have been, for years, playing with single droned pitches but the idea of playing over a perfect fifth was what interested me. Does anyone know of a recording? I know that I could probably make one, but with the practice, audition, and performance schedule I keep I'm lucky that I get to sleep at night. Thanks.

17. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Here's one that I created using CoolEdit. It's E and B.

18. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    I ordered "the tuning cd"...it does the trick. I highly reccomend it for anyone with serious pitch issues or for anyone who is interested in cleaning up their pitch and making it as precise as possible. It is interesting to react to what is actually in tune as opposed to the tempered tuning provided to us by the piano.

19. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Exactly what is on the CD? I checked out their site, but it seems that I can create my own tones using Cool Edit Pro.