1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Drop A Scales??

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by EvisceratedLows, Aug 12, 2012.

1. I'm playing in a metal band, we play in a drop A tuning (A E A D G). Could someone help me out with some appropriate scales and with changing from standard tuning to the A tuning?

I'm obviously new to the theory side of music so its probably easier than I expect, but I don't even know where to start!

Cheers.

2. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    that's like drop D on a guitar ....all scales stay the same except on the low B string ....scale tones move up 2 frets!

3. what the pluck

what the pluck

Oct 13, 2010
    Australia
    Hey there,

The only difference you have from standard tuning is your low A which I assume is a b string tuned down. I know this might b a dumb question but why do you tune down? Are all your songs in a minor or something? Anyway, I'd start with learning the c major scale.

4. 2 frets down, that's what I needed to know. Cheers :)

All our songs are in drop A. I came into the band 6 months and about 10 songs after the band started, so I just followed suit. I have a Jackson 5 string with a .150 gauge bottom string. Works alright. Cheers, I'll check out the c major

5. OOZMAN

OOZMAN

Jun 16, 2010
    Australia
    C major = A minor just so you know. :)