1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drop A tuning

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by insomniac2295, Sep 22, 2008.

1. My band just recently changed to drop A tuning(the guitarists have 7 strings so its like having a guitar in standard E then having that 7th string tuned to an A. It's one of the most versatle tunings I've ever played in.) I play tuned A-E-A-D-G and was wondering if there are any cabs out there that you guys might reccomend for playing in this tuning:confused:

The cabs that I have right now reproduce the low A but at a much lesser volume than the rest of the strings. I think the frequency of the A I'm talking about is 28 hz? Correct me if I'm wrong

2. anyone?

3. Andrew2

Andrew2

Jul 23, 2008
    I think the only possible cab si Ampeg SVT410HLF which has frequency response from 28Hz and the low B string is really killing, so I believe that it can play low A good too.

4. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    You should consider a crossover if you're using a wide range of notes like that. Send your low notes to a 2x15, or maybe even a subwoofer, and feed it a lots of power (like a kilowatt). Let your upper notes go to 10 or 12 inch speakers.

5. rockstar744

rockstar744

Feb 15, 2007
    Portland OR
    I think Basson cabs are rated down to 20Hz.

6. hmmm interesting. I had no idea it had a frequency response that broad! makes sense that the bassist for Periphery uses that cab then. I think he tunes down to drop G. I'll check that out fo sho!

oh and about the Basson cabs, I reeeaaally don't wanna use them. Big, ugly, and they weigh a TON.

7. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Then again, the human ear's response is horrible in the bass end of the spectrum. You can't do much about that without lots of subs and power. Good luck paying for and hauling all that equipment.

The low A is 27.5Hz. Virtually no cabinet will produce a decent volume that low. At the best, manufacturer ratings are 3dB down, which would require twice the power to equal the higher notes---if you could feed that much power to the cab without it farting out.

8. would different sized speakers put me at any advantage? such as an 18 coupled with 4 10s? what about distortion?

9. gil_mor

gil_mor

Apr 24, 2006
    Sedona, Az
    IMHO 27hz is just rumble.
    You are looking for the 2 harmonics, (55 hz) which are still very low.

Don't go 18, a good 3015lf might give you what you need.

10. I dont want to fully rely on the second harmonic to trick your brain into "hearing" the fundamental frequency of that low A. I know a good chunk of the sound coming out of the speaker would be 55hz but it's not like there isn't any of that 27.5 coming at you, right?

11. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

There wouldn't be much 27.5Hz without using a true subwoofer system. Remember, even 3dB down needs twice the power to get back up where everything else is. That's why you use separate amps and subs, so you can boost the frequencies you need.

12. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007

Yeah the stuff that I've been building!!!

13. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    Oh yah if you want to have at least equal fundamental response down there you need some compensation EQ.

14. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    I hope you guys are wearing earplugs.

15. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    Their Specs are a load of BS

16. justincest

justincest

May 1, 2008
    I've tried out the avatar 410/212 set up, and it handled my drop a tuning perfectly. Ampeg 810s are pretty loud also.

17. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    Is mostly wasted power in the average speaker cabinet.

27.5Hz is not rumble clean its pretty cool!!

99% of bass rigs can't do 55Hz cleanly, bellow 30Hz forget about it.

18. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I get mine from the magical ELF. Of course all the rational people are going to tell you that's too low anyway.

19. ...and nappies.
    The brown note is down there somewhere.

20. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    I don't know all of the specifics on the ELF Drivers, but I suspect that you would need quite a large ELF rig to get enough sub bass to be useful live.

the Rig I built is similar to ELF, uses 4 Lab12's in a sealed box with 2kW power It'll do about 117dB @ 30Hz.

Bag end doesn't give any sensitivity figures.

A pair Vented Dual Lab 12 cabinets I have built will do ~122 dB@ 30HZ with 1600Watts behind it, and 118dB @ 20Hz. This is very low distortion.

The Vt of both cabs is about 12cu' That is the size price you have to pay for Lots of Low Bass.