1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drop A tuning

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by insomniac2295, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Sorry not true.
    its Freq response goes to 48hz.
    http://www.ampeg.com/products/classic/svt410hlf/index.html
    with a "usable frequency" down to 28hz. -cough-
    SWR G3 goes lower with a freq response down to 40.

2. Say I were to go with an Avatar setup. Which would be better, 2 4x10's or a 4x10 and 2x12?

3. levis76

levis76 Seconds from getting ba...

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    My band tunes to A# (A#, F, A#, D#), just a half step up from you and I have no problems with my low A. It's actually louder than the other strings. I get good growl and sweet lows. Make sure your p'ups are adjusted properly and try not to crank the lows too high on your head. With the lowered tuning you have plenty of lows, try boosting the low mids a bit. Works for me.

4. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007

No you would not be able to reproduce the fundamental of a low A with any of the 4x10's or 2x12 combinations of commercialy available Bass guitar speakers.

2nd harmonic probably. No Fundamental at any SPL useful for live playing. You will however get lots of distortion trying to push the cones bellow tuning or past Xmax trying to reproduce tones to low for the speaker.

Augmenting your 4x10 with a Bi amped 2x12 (true subwoofer) might get you almost there.

Most gigs you do with Bass in PA Going that low can cause problems Without carful system and backline alignment. Most PA's don't go that low either.

If you really want lots of Bass in the 20Hz-80Hz range probably going to need something like this.

20_20.

Or This If you want TONS of Bass from 28Hz-80Hz You need something like this (Just the ServoDrive Cabs)

These are some of the other great options for true sub bass.

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/tapped_horn.html

I recomend a TH-215 or if your feeling spunky a DTS-20 or even the CT-30. The TH-50 looks pretty scary too.

Trust me your lucky to get strong 60Hz out of your average 4 x 10.

Bill and a lot of the other guys here will argue that Bass guitar bellow 60Hz doesn't belong on the stage. There is some logic to that. Hasn't convinced me to stop playing around with sub bass rigs yet.

Antone-

5. Gigabajillion

Gigabajillion

Sep 19, 2006
    Spring Hill, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Bluesman Vintage, Ernie Ball
    I haven't had any experience with Avitar, but I do know that bigger string gauges help me when we're in A. At least on the "B" string. I'm using .135's now, when I tune to B it's a little tight, but dropped it's a good tension with good sustain. Our guitar player was talking about going to G, I might as well get familiar with punching my bass on stage. :)

Using a Pick might help too, get some of those overtones going that were talked about earlier.

6. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007

Woah He Said Periphery!!!

I've been following Bulbs (Mishas) stuff since I first found him on Sound Click a few years ago!!!

The first song of Bulbs I heard was called Oxmodius, still one of my favorites.

7. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Have just taken the british soundoff boot instillation record at 30 Hz
    using two fifteen inch HCCA Drivers.
    http://www.orioncaraudio.com/Promos/HCCA_Challenge_Results.aspx

Cross it out at sixty and you can get what you are after you have to run them in at 30 hz for a few hours at about a K though but they will get it.
    :ninja:

8. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    Interesting test.

Competative Car audio is a strange realm. But that doens't make any of the drivers inherantly good for electric bass or PA.

Or good for free air, even though the Lab12 driver owes its pedigri to car subwoofers.

If only we had Car cab gain in live situations we could easily rattle eyeballs with a couple of 12's.

Antone-

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    I play in AEADG a lot and use a DB750 + GS412. Works just fine.

10. I've played live shows with a band that tunes to G, which is rather low. I used an Ampeg B2RE through an Ampeg SVT-810E. Sounded beautiful (well, as beautiful as G gets)! The setup handled it well, and it might be used to record this bands demo.

-Josh

11. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    I don't mean to keep barking about this but Insomniac did say he was interested in a rig with True 27.5Hz frequency response and not rely on the Psycho Acoustic effect of Strong Second Harmonic.

None of the commercially available Bass Rigs can do that realistically.

It may work good or great for all of you to use Xbrand 4 X or 8 X 10. 2 X 12 whatever + 1 15 whatever. It probably sounds just the way you want it. But don't fool yourselves into thinking you have strong fundamental at LOW G or F# or whatever you tune too.

I happen to drop tune my 5 and 6 string Basses one whole step. ADGCFA. Thats just how I roll.

Some things anybody interested in having a bass rig capable of Sub Bass.

First read up on Fletcher Munson curves and or Equal Loudness curves.

This illustrates How loud the signal in the Bass End of the spectrum to sound as loud as the mid range of audio.

The Next point is understanding how a pickups low end response rolls of with relationship to Instrument Scale/Pickup Placement/and Tuning.

http://www.till.com/articles/PickupResponseDemo/index.html

I believe that it rolls off 6dB per octave.

So if your roll off starts at 80Hz (Octave Above Low E) You have 6dB less output at 40HZ (Why 2nd Harmonic is stronger.)

At 30Hz you'll be almost 9 or 10dB lower. Thats 10 X Less power in that range.

The only way to fight that is with a custom EQ slope, which is instrument specific.

Ok so now your at Equal signal strength from Low notes on up.

If your playing music in a Prog-Metal band like Periphery, that much Low end will probably shred your 4X10 cones and if it could be done without distortion still wouldn't be perceived as loud as the rest of the range.

So you will actually need to boost even more in that range for the Low fundamental to seem comparably loud to your mid bass tones. Any 4 or 8 X 10 cabs single 15's etc. would probably have long since dislodged their voice coils or started to smoke (If you had enough amp headroom).

No Virginia there is no Santa Clause.
    If you want that sort of Low Bass you need to go EXTREME MAN!!!

Again I have no doubt your drop tuned rigs sound great. But If you wan't low bass there is a price to pay.

12. I have the chance to snag an SVT-18. Do you think it would be good for me coupled with a SVT-410? And I'm talking the regular 410, not the 410HLF

13. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    If you really want True 27.5Hz No.

Good for you? Good for you. Good for you!

Go to a music store and see if you can test what you're thinking about. Or maybe rent some gear so you can evaluate it for yourself.

Again if you want to go that low, Not even the El Wappo Grande will deliver. You need to look outside the world of "Bass Guitar Speakers"

Antone-

14. mannnn im not completely gun-ho on getting down all the way to 27.5. I just want a cab setup that will sound the best for my application.

15. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    Go out and test some gear.

Can you test your that 18???

Sound best for your application is totally subjective and up to you and your band.

16. Go for it man, I play in ADADG through a GK1001rb and a neo 2x12 and it does A just fine.

Specs are just numbers, your ears will guide you!

I saw Torche last week and they play in drop A, and the bass sound was clear as day and super loud - he was playing through an Orange guitar head into an Aguilar 8x10.

My mate Dave went home because his ear drum burst!

17. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Two of these.

http://www.ccisolutions.com/StoreFront/BAG-D12E-I.prod

18. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    I am quite familiar with the Bag end ELF/Infra system.

It can't compete with my cabinet for output. Which is of similar design and EQ.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469734

Max output of a pair of the bag end at 40Hz 800Watts is 105dB and 93dB @ 20Hz 81dB @ 10Hz

Mine will do closer to 123dB at 40Hz, and 111dB @20Hz 99dB @ 10Hz But Mine can Handle 2kW before hitting XMAX all the way down to 1Hz. My thermal limit is @ 1600Watts though.