Drop C bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by moweezil, Jul 10, 2004.

1. moweezil

Dec 2, 2001
    What is a good bass for tuning open C (drop C)? I play a Fender P-bass right now, and it does well. I was just wondering if there are any basses that boast good drop tuning qualities. I know there is not going to be a easy answer for this, but any help would be appreciated.
  2. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i can throw warwicks in C and they hold it well. if im not mistaken ryknow (mudvayne) explained his like for warwicks and that was a reason. because it held the C tuning so well.
  3. Longer scale is better, generally, for lower strings. They won't flop as much on a 35"+ scale bass compared to a 34. Larger gauge strings help immensely as well. I don't think it depends on a certain brand as much as the construction quality and factors such as scale length.
  4. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    i bet a dingwall would drop fairly well. but the best drop set up ive ever found was the drop d on kubickis, dont even have to change the way you think about playing. but ya longer scale would be great.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Strings. It's all in the strings. Isteaf of using .105-45, get a light 2 string set. Say 125-45. Use the B string as your E, and so on You end up with a spare string, but hey, it's cheaper than a new bass. Drop C will suddenly become as tight, if not tighter than your standard E. It works well, and lets you keep more control over the dynamics and gives you a broader range of viable techniques. Removes a lot of fret clacking, as well.

I do that with my 5er (CFBbEbAb on a BEADG set of strings). Works wonders.