1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drop C# Help

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BDL1991, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Ok so, I have a strong preference for Arkay Power Punch strings (http://www.arkaystrings.com/html/bass.html) on my usual Drop C bass (Stagg BC300), Which I need to Retune to Drop C# to use in a cover band that wants to play some Alter Bridge and Black Stone Cherry playing Finger and Pick Style. And my G (A) string goes pop and snaps at the bridge, which requires an entire restring, as they had been on for, two years or so, and still sounded brilliant mind you.

But the gauges I had one were .130 - .80 - .65 - .45, from the Five String set, and being from the UK, Arkay strings are near Impossible to get, I've looked all over the internet for dealers and suppliers and I've found the two different types of four string sets able to be shipped to the UK (http://bassguitarstrings.us/store/home.php?cat=380).
    The only places I've found the five strings set are in Japan and Czechoslovakia, which unfortunately, Don't ship to the UK.

So, My questions are

A) Would me using .105 - .080 - .065 - .045 and tuning them to Drop C# with close to the correct tension work?

B) What string make would be a similar sound to Arkay strings if you have any experience with the make, or any suggestions of what could replace them?

Thanks in advance
    M.R.

2. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    These gauges would be good for drop C#;

.124 .084 .061 .043

3. I'm guessing being a owner of a company you've looked at what would be beneficial to each tuning, unlike rotosound, who though they released the DropZone which was good, they released the Dropzone plus, which caused the death of one of my friend's basses due to him stripping the trussrod? do you have any sound clips of your strings, aka, unplugged and then through a DI or something??

4. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    When doing something other than BEADG most get flummoxed - there are very few resources available to players to form an understanding for what is required, and alot of math and investment in inventory for manufacturers. Sometimes it's gotten wrong on both sides of it - hopefuly not to the detriment of an instrument.

There was a thread some time back of someone who tuned their Thunderbird to F# or E and he posted clips - I have none to point you to. Sorry 'bout that.

5. ah right thanks, and that sounds hazardous

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021