1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Drop C Jazzbass V low string problem

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sem_, Dec 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. It would help people help you better if you could fill in the field for "location" in your profiles.

2. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    maybe, just...maybe...you got a bum string...?

3. mattj1stc

mattj1stc Gold Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Dallas, TX USA
    FWIW, I use a .150 Kalium string on my 35 inch scale 5 string Lakland tuned to low B. In my experience, most B or C tunings require significantly thicker than the standard sizes usually offered

NKBassman likes this.
  4. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    We're just talking about this in another thread actually. I've used 130 or 132 in Drop C before. It's not crazy.
    Just because "typcial" string sets offer a 120 or 125 or 130 low B doesn't mean that it's appropriate or balanced or anything like that. If it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work.

You could also try a different brand or type of string that might offer higher stiffness than whatever you're using now.

5. Are you saying you don’t get any sound? Or are you playing but the feel is very loose. I’ve played low C with a 120 and a 105. it is not an ideal feel, but the intended tone is achieved. I mean you can’t wail or hit the open C in peddling mode because it is too floppy. My use of open play is very limited, I’m mostly using frets which gives a tighter feel.

6. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    IME the primary reason for detuning to something like drop-C is specifically so you can ride/pedal the open low note.

7. sem_

sem_

Dec 2, 2019
    Just dropping in with an update - I bought the 145 gauge string, and it feels and sounds much better. Thanks for your help!

NKBassman likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021