Drop C String Gauge

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Eolson, Dec 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Eolson

Eolson

Apr 4, 2011
    Sparta, WI
    I've been using a lot of standard heavy gauge sets from D'Addario like XL 50-135 set on a 5 string for Drop C. It's really hard to do anything in the tuning as it sounds very floppy and rattles..other issues.
    I see that they have a Nickel Wound Long Scale in .145 gauge. If I use this, what would the gauge progression be between the other strings as I haven't been able to find a set using the .145 gauge string.

Tanks,

Eric

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    You're not having very good luck getting an answer. Le'me help you get one.

Buy a new set of the strings you're using now and lose the 'G'. Move the other strings over one position (D to G, A to D, E to A.) Install your .145 in your 'E' position. Tune, intonate play. (Bad information gets responses faster than no information.)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    CatSquare likes this.
  3. Eolson

Eolson

Apr 4, 2011
    Sparta, WI
    The current set I use progresses as follows with the gauge difference shown below: (Gauge Difference Between Strings - gd)
    .50 .70 .85 .105 .135
    20gd 15gd 20gd 30gd

If I replace the .135 gauge string with .145 and move everything else and loose the .50 gauge string this is the gauge difference between the string set:
    .70 .85 .105 .135 .145
    15gd 20gd 30gd 10gd

My worry is that there is only a 10 gauge difference in size between the B and E strings whereas before there was a 30 gauge difference. What effect will this have?
    Or do I replace the E string with a .115 gauge to get the 30 gauge difference.
    .65 .75 .90 .115 .145
    10gd 15gd 25gd 30gd

The only issue there would be that the .65-.75-.90-.115 set I use is a Rotosound set, any issues mixing different manufactures of strings?

4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Go to D'Addario's Tension Pro, and you can determine what the difference in tension will be between the strings.
    It's nice to have balanced tension, because then all the notes can be attacked with the same force, unless of course you're accenting a note.

String Tension Pro

5. Eolson

Eolson

Apr 4, 2011
    Sparta, WI
    Was on that site earlier, didn't continue past material type. Now I see that was only like step 4. So am I looking to have basically the same amount of tension on each string?

6. Killed_by_Death

Why else are you concerned about the difference in gauge?
    The numbers mean nothing relevant, since they're in inches. They might make more sense if they were metric.
    What bugs me is, balanced tension strings aren't all that prevalent.
    Most often the treble side has higher tension than the bass side, which makes absolutely no sense for a tuning like Drop D or Drop C.

Edit In:

Oh wait, I put my foot in my mouth just a little bit, because...

Since the string gauges are in the decimals range, they are in fact metric (in a sense), in that they're based on multiples of 10.

7. Eolson

Eolson

Apr 4, 2011
    Sparta, WI
    So your thinking the gauge difference isn't that big of a deal?

8. Killed_by_Death

TBH, I'm still wondering why you need to tune down if you're using a 5 string.

9. Killed_by_Death

This is what the Tension Pro says about your last selection:

upload_2015-12-27_20-10-37.png

Here is the middle (2nd) selection:

upload_2015-12-27_20-12-22.png

I try to average around 33 lbs of tension per string:

upload_2015-12-27_20-13-59.png

10. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    What is drop C on a 5 string?

Standard is BEADG with the B at 30.9hz.

Are you tuning the B up half a step to C or down 11 half steps? Or something else entirely?

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  11. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I can't imagine it would be down to 'C 0'; I doubt that would even be audible, except to maybe elephants.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  12. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Doesn't mean kids won't try it.

Going up to C with a 135 shouldn't be too floppy to use, and there would be no reason to call it "drop" anything.

13. Eolson

Eolson

Apr 4, 2011
    Sparta, WI
    Tuning B to C...I'm splitting hairs here, just wondering if a larger gauge string would be less floppy, less rattle or just sound better (should be less floppy right?). I don't really care for this tuning, sounds cool and heavy but its frustrating to play that way. Just looking for a little tweak or adjustment that might make the experience better all around with sound and playablility.

The Middle Second Section string configuration looks pretty even. I might try that one.

14. Killed_by_Death

Now you're pulling our leg. Tuning to C would make the B string more taught (more tension).

15. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Yeah but look at the overall tension on the neck, over 250 lbs.; as opposed to the 3rd option that is about 165 lbs.

16. Killed_by_Death

I put .115-.5 on my Fender 4 string and tuned it to E. Bad idea. The neck just kept pulling in and in, until I finally switched to lighter gauge.

17. Killed_by_Death

I suggest you go into the program and do your own calculations, because mine were based on CDGCF tuning.

18. LowB-ing

LowB-ing

Aug 3, 2005
    So, is "Crop C" the best tuning for Deathcountry?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

It would be good if you could tell the tuning pf each string. Are you just tuning the B up to C and leaving the others standard, or is there more going on?

And yes, a heavier gauge string will feel less floppy in general.

19. Eolson

Eolson

Apr 4, 2011
    Sparta, WI
    lol..Death County..I think you just came up with a new hit genre.

20. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    I use the same set for standard as I do for drop C tuning (DR high beams 40-100) it just requires you to set up your bass properly for the tension change.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021