Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drop C..... tune down or tune up ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by AllodoX, Jun 29, 2001.

1. A Friend of mine asked me for advice, but i have no idea...

He changed bands, and his new band plays in drop C.

What is best : Tune his 4-string bass down to drop C with thick strings, or... buy a 5-string bass and tune the B-string up to C with thin strings ??

Tnx

2. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Um..why don't you just use a five string and fret whatever note you need on the B string?

3. I imagine alot of the riffs would be damn near impossible without an open C.

4. D. Matthews

D. Matthews

Apr 16, 2001
    Canada
    I have to say I'm with "oo0o00o0oo". If he's got the cash, get a five string and use it in standard tuning. Those "riffs" may seem impossible at first, but practice should take care of it.

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    well

i play a lot in C-C#

and it is true that SOME songs can be easily played with standard tuning, but many other songs are so fast and you need to play open C a lot...

6. I've got my own 5-string bass in C too ( CFGEA instead of BEADG ) and it sounds great...

His 4-string bass sounds great in drop D, but with normal strings it sucks ass in C.

He wasn't too anxious to sell the 4-stringer, coz it's a pretty expensive one ( ESH stinger ).
    So we went out and got a set of D'addario XL170-5 bass strings ( .045 / .130 ).

With little modification the thicker strings fit in the bass. Then we tuned it to CFGE, lower the pickups a little and raise the strings.

It sounds great now ! looks pretty cool too, a 4-string bass with real thick strings.

7. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    i use 2 basses. AC#F#BE and C#F#BE.. they work fine for me :p

our demo cd shall be released soon so i will let you guys listen to it when i get it mp3ed :)

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Allodox...CFGEA?! Thats up ½, up ½, DOWN a whole, up whole, up whole....what the hell?

9. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    lol :D i just noticed that too

10. uhr ?? WHOOPSIE.. sorry.. my mistake..

i meanth C F A# D# G#

blame it on the Jolt-cola :D

11. I have detuned my 4 string to C (not open.. two hole steps down on each string) and it sound just fine, a little bit loose but confortable, but I use wider gouge sitrngs than the most comon (which I think is 45 - 105 or something) Personally, A 5 string tuned in C would be VERY tense.. at least for me..

If you really really need to have the same setup as the guitars in your band, I suggest you to buy wider strings..and down tune your 4-string _:;-_

12. Yeah it's pretty tense.. but that's pretty sweet to play with.

13. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    I read an article in Bass Player, with Christian Olde Wolberg?? ( Fear Factory). He said he used to take the four lowest strings(of a set of 5), and used them on his for string bass, and it eventually cracked the neck on his bass.

P.S.- dOSEN'T ANYBODY PLAY IN STANDARD TUNING ANYMORE??

14. I DO! :D

15. Yet another fine Dutch bassplayer :D :D

Hmm... i've been playing in C on 5-string bass for almost 9 months now... no problems so far..

I mean.. B vs C isn't that much of a difference.. i doubt modern bass-necks can't handle a little more tension..

16. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    I have a 5 string that is almost always tuned
    A-D-A-D-G. I like the open octaves...it's occasionally in A-D-A-D-A or A-E-A-D-G. It kinda depends on what I'm playing, but it's usually in
    A-D-A-D-G. I remember that when I used to play with the radio in my room, I'd tune and retune constantly. Point being...pick a tuning and leave it! I went through a set of strings in a week. I remember that when I played Godsmack "Whatever", since they are in C-G-C-F, I'd tune C-C-G-C-F. Then, when he hit the open C (with the kick drum...listen to the song and you'll know what I'm talking about) I'd hit the 2 low C's (which are the same note) and I'd knock things off the wall. Ahhhh...memories...

17. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    my four strings plays standard (i hate detuning, but i have to do it for the bands sake.)

my 5 stringer will have C# E A D G

all deftones stuff i play i do it in just one string :) so the "Tense" C# will be perfect and i will have the standard tuning below for some fills and play other songs without changing bass .

i can´t wait for my fiver!! :)

18. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    Concider a D-tuner set to C and flick it on when you need it. I have done the same but set to be with thick strings. Works for me cause i like to think in 4ths and when i drop i just pretend that it is a 5 string with the e string gone. Weird huh?

jc

19. Asswipe

Asswipe

Jun 17, 2001
    My not just tune
    B-G
    E-C
    A-G
    D-C
    G-F#
    It's a little floppy but what da hell

20. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I usually use standard but sometimes I tune A-A-D-G (with the A's an octave apart.) anyone done that? the low a is very floppy but i like how it sounds for slapping both strings while barring them.