drop c tuning 5 string g

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by oldirtybassist, Jan 8, 2002.

1. What size gauge should i use to drop the b down to a g?
  2. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    you could start by not double posting
  3. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I play drop C. My gauges are 110, 90, 70, 50, 40.
  4. hey, sorry. the site said there was an error and i should try again, thats why there was a double post. and i was thinking about having the g below the c (GCGCF) I got the idea (sort of) from ryknow (mudvayne), but if you think putting it higher would be better, id love to hear your opinions
  5. assuming you mean the E string down to c, so the Low b down a 4th to a g, i would recomend a .150, JT uses one for a Low F# (1/2 step below your desired G) but be warned, you may have trouble reproducing that G, why not just use the C on the 1st fret of the B string?
  6. have you actually heard a low g? sounds like pure crap gorguts bassist tunes to that and it sounds like paper cause he doesnt have a proper guage. but witn a .150 you would need a new bass.
  7. he didnt post what type of gear he was using, so its pretty impossible to assume whether or not he would be able to use a .150 gauge string. john turner (the colkin(sp?) multi-string master ;) ) has a 34" scale custom colkin which has a low F# as well as a couple of his other basses. He uses a custom Dean Markley string with a taper core. Although i've never heard it in use, he says it acomidates his style nicely. Also, he uses a PA sub to amplify it though... keep that in mind.
  8. Deep Death, why would he need a new bass? Doesn't a .150 gauge fit?
  9. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My band and I currently tune down to a C and I play on a Thumb 5 n/t. The gauges I use are .135, .110, .90, .70, .55 . The down side is I have to use a custom d'addario set since the B string has to be tapered. I had the problem deepdeath referred to with it so instead I've started tuneing A, C, F, A#, D# and it works fine did take a little getting used to though;) . I've heard about a system called an E.L.F. that I think is a kind of p.a. sub could help but I understand the price is through the roof:eek: .
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I use a 130-45 set on my Kingston in ADGCF...and even at 130, I find that I'm a able to drop down to G without any real tension problems. The problem is sound reproduction. To sound like anything but mud murk, and general crap, I'd say you need an 18"...preffereably one with a low crossover, so you can get the low notes almost entirely handled by it. My Eden seems to handle the A, but I'd be worried about the G...
  11. this is really some illlogical stuff. if you have a 5-string why don't you tune to the guitars, it will provide the notes and sound reproduction. the only point in tuning to G is to create a dynamic sound that will be used for movie openings.
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well...on the otherside of that coin, you could stand out, and be heard, due to the difference in tunings. It'd be easier to make yourself heard...
  13. im looking heavily at a thumb 5 b-o. would i need to get custom strings? or a new nut? would it **** the bass up ( my guitarist says that if the strings are looser than normal, it messes with the neck)? would it save me the trouble to just tune the b to a c, the e to a g, the a to a c, the d to a f, and the g to an a#?
  14. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    :confused: I don't get it. Downtuning makes you be heard easier? Maybe if you played the same positions, thus in the wrong key you would be heard more clearly (for better or for worse) but if anything I would imagine tuning down would make your sound more muddy and indistinct, and therefore harder to distinguish. But perhaps I'm missing the point.
  15. um a G won't be heard THAT MUCH. it would be easier to tune up oldirty.,
  16. Just because a guitar player is detuning, doesnt mean you HAVE to also. If they go to drop c, you can keep a regular 5 string tuned up. As long as you're playing in the same key, you're all good.
  17. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I wouldn't worry about the neck on a Warwick not liking low tension. Once you find the guages you want to stick with, have it set up properly and it should be fine. Ovankol and wenge are pretty solid woods.

But I don't think a .150 is going to fit with a B-string nut slot.

Hmm, what would I do with guitarists dropped to C. . . I guess it really depends on if you're going to need to double any of their riffs. I don't see the point in doing that too much, but if you have to, I'd tune in straight 5ths, CGDA. For five string, maybe ADADG?

With normal 5-string tuning however, I'd try to find some space up higher to get out of the murk that those guitars are going to create. And when necessary you can still go down to the C for a big octave.

While I agree, as long as you play in key it's really not that big a deal how you tune. But I think there's a certain something when the tunings used in the band complement one another. That doesn't mean they have to be the same. Sorry for rambling. . .
  18. me personaly, i wouldnt be in a band with a guitar player using drop c... sure you get a fat sound, but unless its used tastfully... i'd be drowned out of almost the entire mix... really no fun. Right now, i just think its a hype of who can tune the lowest. First it was a semitone down, then droped d. Then droped d, and a semitone below that, then a full step down, then a full step down and droped d, now suddenly everyone is making their way towards 1 1/2 steps down + a droped d resulting in a b. Its rediculus.
  19. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    So what? Just sit by the sidelines and smile. :) I don't have a problem with it, who knows my next favorite band might use GGAACC or something. Tool of course play almost everything drop-D, and Parabola is BEDG(BE), it sounds just fine to me. In fact, the outro to Parabola where Adam is oh-so-carefully playing those low strings, is really awesome.
  20. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Think about what you just said: Unless a guitar is used tastefully. . .

:D :D :D :D