Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

drop c tuning

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by k-dawg, Sep 24, 2001.

1. how do i tune my 4 string to drop c tuning

2. Gudforniet

Gudforniet

Jul 14, 2000
    San Ramon, CA
    for drop c: tune the E string 2 full steps down and the other strings one full step down.
    for full c: tune everything down 2 steps.

my band plays in drop c sometimes, gotta nice fat tone if ya play with ur fingers, i find that with a pick all ya hear mainly is a "clack clack clack..." maybe its my eq's, who knoes?

3. jvasquez18

jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    you need a 36' scaler. but anyway. first drop D (tune the seventh fret of the E string to the open A) then tune the rest of the strings as if you were tuning standard-ly :D. after you've done that (drop everything a whole step down) tune the seventh string of the (now) D string to an open (now) G string. there you have it as if it was standard tuning with the E dropped to D. the difference is that NOW it's drop a whole step down.

4. - lower action on the bass
    - get real thin 5-string-set ( .115 )
    - put bead strings on your bass.
    - tune UP to C, this will automaticly raise the action, as the neck bends over a tiny bit

We ( friend + me ) did this on an ESH stinger, and it rocks.

5. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I'm interested in hearing more about the ESH Stinger!

6. Not really drop c, but if you really want something else, try tuning in 5ths (7 half-steps)from c; cgda

7. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    So you're saying it's C-G-C-F?

If this is the case I would use a set of heavy EADG 4-strings, or else a set of medium BEADG 5-strings. With the 5-string set, eliminate the E string and use the B in its place. Going up a half step (tuning the B to C) is not going to affect the tension that much, and most B strings are lower tension than the rest of the set anyway.

8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i play in a "drop-C#" band :)

i use this tunning: C# F# B E

to get a decent tone and feel on a detuned bass like this:

-35' or more scale
    -Raise action
    -Heavier strings
    -Fingers

i also use effects... i use one that i made myself to eliminate all the "Click, Clack" you mention... drop the highs on your EQ too...

9. I play my G&L El Toro C-F-A#-D#
    I had to adjust the setup and re intonate as well but it sounds great. I use the low strings from various 5 string sets as I'm still experimenting.
    I also play a fretless 4 string Stinger tuned B-E-A-D. The fretlines are completely inaccurate(I had to get them b/c it was defretted). The bridge needed to be widened in several respects w/ a drill press to accomodate the 5 string gauges. Sometimes i play it in slack tuning(ultra low) for bluegrass or Drum&Bass. Sounds good but is suffers like M. J., too many facelifts.
    -I'm always mangling some piece of gear, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse.

10. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Cello tunings, huh...I tried that when I was first playing bass cuz I use to and still play cello, but have since learned how to play bass with the traditional tunings...I guess it could be viola tunings too.

11. I stopped playing cello a year before starting to play bass ( i had played for 6 years ). and i think viola tuning is different , but i'm not sure

12. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I dont think you need 35" scale or anything like that. You can use this tuning perfectly fine with a 34"er. I know they make 34" scale 5 string basses, and they are tuned even lower than C, so why not use that? I just recommend using at least a 120, preferably a 125 gauge for the C string. I think a 130 is perfect for B, and C is a half step above B so you subtract 5. 130 (B) - 5 (a half step) = 125 (C)

Basically, what Im trying to say is you should use a 125 gauge string for your C. 115 will be way too floppy. 120 should be okay though. You will also need to reintonate and adjust your truss rod. I dont think the action needs to be changed though.