Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

drop c

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by retitled, Sep 14, 2005.

1. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    whats drop c tunning for a 5 string?

i cant make heads or tales of this drop tunning stuff

can i get a list or a chart or something?

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    CGCF

Detune the E string 2 whole steps down to a C
    Detune the A string 1 whole step down to a G
    Detune the D string 1 whole step down to a C
    Detune the G string 1 whole step down to a F

also.... do a search... tunings have been done to death

3. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    how about the B string?

i did a search but all i bound was D tunnings and random threads about it

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Depending on if you wanted a low or high 5th string you'd use either GCGCF or CGCFBb.

The first tuning would be very difficult to get playable and nice sounding due to the very low frequency and nearly zero tension on the low G string.

Tunings are easy to figure out if you remember:

1) Standard tuning has a 4th between strings (going up) and starts at E (or B on a 5 string).

2) Drop tuning means that you drop the E string an extra whole step so that it is a 5th down from the string above it. Other strings remain 1 4th apart.

3) Its perfectly acceptable to tune your bass anyway you want if a certain tuning makes it easier to play something. Its your bass after all. Some tunings may be difficult to execute on some guitars without a specific setup (like say, CADG on a 4 string would probably require a totally different setup than CGCF would on the same instrument).

5. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    so what ur saying is that the E has to be 5 steps from the A and that A D and G are 4 apart...

ok so if i have a 5...

the B E and A are 5th apart and the A D G are 4 apart..

or is the B and E 4 apart and the E and A 4 apart..

6. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    damn. i didn't see the 5 string part.

7. uh, you tune that down to C. :D the rest of the strings down 1 step.

8. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    ok so what i gather is what ever tunning im in that letter has to be the thickets and the rest are 1 down step from that?

so that would be fcgdc

is that right?

9. Hmm, you got me there, I apologise, I think I'm in error here. CAN you tune the B string down to F without it being insanely floppy? I assumed you were tuning the B string UP to C.

10. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I tune my 5 up to C standard, which just involves tuning each string up a half step. My bass has dual truss rods and a three piece neck so it can take it. I would be careful though.

11. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    lol that reminds me of the first time i tried to get my bass in drop D.

i didnt know i was supposed to DROP the string so im tightening my E higher and higher and higher and BOING!!! lol.. that was like a week orso after i got my bass.. but on the day i got strings cuz i got it second hand with no strings :( so im a little weary about tunning up..

12. Why do you want to tune the 5-string differently? Can't you just use normal tuning since you have all the notes there? I understand drop C tuning on a 4-string but I don't see the need with a 5-string.

13. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    There are some riffs that hammer-on from an open C note in the original recording of the song I was playing, so I needed the B string to be up to C.

Plus, my 4 string is not set up to play well in C tuning. The strings hit the pole pieces.

That's why I want another 4 string to set up for dropped tunings.

14. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills

thats so cute.. lol

they are called frets :)

15. Couldn't you use a capo?

16. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    can u use a capo for one string?

dont they span the entire neck?

17. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    Um, no... Pole pieces are the little "pieces" of "poles" that come out of your pickups.

18. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I could use a capo, but tuning up a 1/2 step is fine for me.

retitled: reading my post again, I guess you could think it was calling frets pole pieces. I'm glad I could lighten up your day. :)