Drop D Bands

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PollyBass, Jun 8, 2002.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok guys, My mind is running a blank. How bout naming of some good bands that use drop d? Ive been playing alot of tool, and have always used Drop D in my bands, so any more good drop d bands? If they play with a pick that would be nice to.
  2. Check out the song "Sever" by Simon Says.
    It has a pretty cool Drop-D riff, and the bassist plays with a pick.
  3. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Tool use drop-D tuning. And the bassist, Justin Chancellor plays with a pick. Rage Against he Machine drop to D too.
  4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah i know about tool, my old band covered the album "Aenema" In one setting, as far as i'm concerd, their the best band out there right now (IMO) Yeah i forgot i knew some rage Drop-d riffs. Tesifiy, New Mellenuim Homes, No Shelter are cool riffs. Not all Rage is in Drop D though. but thanks for jogging my memory about rage.
  5. Some 311 songs...some Incubus...damn, that's all I can think of.
  6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Some incubus? oh thats right! "Drive" can be played on a 4 stringer cant it? thats the song he picks up the jazz bass for live...
  7. John Bufo

John Bufo

Jan 14, 2002
    Salem, NH
    Alice In Chains has quite a bit of drop d material. Both Mike Starr and Mike Inez used a pick as well. Check out "Rain When I Die", thats got a pretty cool bassline.
  8. There are a few Silverchair songs in Drop-D. Older stuff at least.
  9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Oleander, Nickelback, Collective Soul.
  10. The Cure's Simon Gallup has used drop-D (with a pick) quite a bit - "the kiss", "torture", "all I want", "open", "doing the unstuck", "cut here", "Friday I'm in love".

AC/DC's Cliff Williams; "moneytalks", "are you ready" (also with a pick).
  11. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Whoa, did you guys do 3rd Eye while you were doing that. If you pulled off that song well, you guys must have been a helluva band.
  12. i'm surprised nobody's mentioned the deftones.
  13. They're more on the order of drop-Z. Seriously, man--Stephen Carpenter said in an interview that they're going to go down to G on their next album.
  14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yep, and if i do say, my playing was pretty spot on. I was thinking about fixing almost every tool bass tab on the bass tab archive, but i desided to heck with it. We do have a heck of a band. The drummer is amazing, guitar is awesome, and my bass playing,,, well, it's good enough to play all of "Aenema" (the record) But i'm not so sure about the lines i write myself, i would like to THINK their ok.... I hate looking at people play all those songs wrong,, it's like they can't hear the bass. No tab ive seen has the open d ringing note thats in some parts of the verses of "Aenema".. AHHHHH. but anyway, thanks for the bands. i never have listened to much cure, but maybe i will.... As far as the deftones, i know a band that played in drop f!
  15. System Of A Down and Machinehead both use Drop D, or at least drop tuning, and their bassists use picks to the best of my knowledge.
  16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    <font size=7>King's X</font size>
  17. Dang... good one JMX. Here I was riffin' "Lost in Germany" the other day and it didn't even connect.
  18. Most of silverchair's songs, except the stuff off of diorama. On weezers newest album some of the songs are in drop-d,and there are some on inutero by nirvana.
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member