1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drop D half step down tuning help please.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by triggervision, Jan 14, 2008.

1. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    The new band I will be playing for tunes in C# G# C# F# (Drop D half step down). I play a EBMM stingray 4 and I need to set it up with this tuning. What should I do? I know I'll need to tune to this tuning then set the relief and action according to the strings in this tuning. But should I get thicker strings? If so, what size do you recommend? Any other suggestions and will the 4 banger do a good job handling this tuning?

Thanks so much guys.

2. If you get Ernie Ball Power Slinky 110's you shouldn't have to adjust much unless you tune standard again which would wreck havok.

3. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    +1, if not any other strings (DR perhaps?) good gauge call though.

4. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    Are you saying get a higher gauge string set (110s) or go specifically for the EB brand strings? btw I meant C# G# C# F#

5. I tuned to dropped C when I had my EBMM SUB 4 string and used the Power Slinkys.

6. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    Ok. DRs are actually what I prefer to use. The tension should still be nice right? And if any what changes do you think I can look forward to? Just curious.

Thanks for the quick helpful replies guys.

7. Due to the dropped tuning the tension change may be minimal. You might need to drop a saddle a bit for the thicker strings.

8. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    Well this seems to be a pretty harmless quick change then. If the tension is not going to be that noticeable, and all I might have to do is lower the action a tad then I might try to do that this week (busy week). Thanks.

9. Roland777

Roland777

Jun 1, 2006
    Sweden
    Get singles instead mate. .110/.115-.080-.060-.045 and you're all set. Your average 4-string set has too much tension on the A- and D-strings and too little on the E. (Or in your case, too much on F# and G#, and too little on the C# - which makes imbalance even worse in your tuning.)

10. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    But I have on there right now 105-85-65-45. With these on there would I be better to just change the 105 to 110 or up the entire set to 110-90-70-50?

11. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    I play fine at C standard all the way down with normal strings.

12. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    .110 is an E string.

You are far better off getting a light B string set and tuning up - I'd suggest .125 .085/.090 .060/.065 .050/.055

13. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    i dont know if this goes without saying (because no one said it) but you'll need to set your intonation to drop Db

14. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    I understand about the intonation. Knuckle head, the strings I generally play are 105-45 which is why I was thinking of upping to the 110-50 set.

15. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Do you normally tune the .105 to E? If so then the tension on it is 37 pounds or so. A comparable tension tuned to C# would be the .125. A .110 at C# would put you at 31 pounds.

16. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    Yes. I play in standard tuning and I use Warwick Black Labels M (105-45) on my Warwick thumb 4 BO. I think what I may do (tell me if this is a bad idea) is buy the DR Stainless steels (hi-beams i think) that are 110-50 and set my bass up to those strings. (i.e. truss rod, action, and intonation). Then, if I do not like the tension, make adjustments either to the strings or bass.

17. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    I am not a DR guy, but I understand that Hi Beams are stiffer than most - it's as good a solution as any.

Let us know how it works for you.

18. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    Just curious. What strings do you use?

19. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    I am brand agnostic as I've used a bunch when I played and am disappointed by very few - at present I string my basses with Everlys and La Bellas 'cuz that's all that will fit. :D

20. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    Knuckle Head is right, a .110 is way too light for C#. I currently use a .120 for my C# and it's a tad looser than I'd like it to be, but that's for the sake of balance since the G# I have sitting below it is a .165.

If I were to up my G# to where I'd really like the tension to be, I'd probably be using at least a .125 for my C#, more likely a .128

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021