Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drop D? Im lost

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ninthwondernj, May 11, 2005.

1. 1. i know what drop d tuning is, its when you tune the E string to D(on 4 string) butwhats the purpose of this for one?

2. WHat do you tune all the other higher strings too?

2. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
    The other strings stay the same, I think it's used to make it easier to play along to guitar power chords.

3. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    It's used to be able to play a low D on a 4 string. You can get a Hipshot Xtender Key that replaces your tuning peg, you just flip a lever and you have low D, flip it back and you have E again. I used to put them on all my 4 string basses, but I play 5 strings these days. I still have one of the Hipshots here, it's a black Gotoh style tuner if you're interested PM me.

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Its more a guitar thing. It lets the guitarist play open fifths ("power chords") as a simple bar. Of course if the guitar does it the bass has to follow along, or use a 5 to grab those low Ds.

5. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Also, because your tuning your 3rd and 4th strings in 5ths you can play voicings in a celloesqueness without retuning your whole bass to 5ths.