Drop D? Im lost

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ninthwondernj, May 11, 2005.

1. 1. i know what drop d tuning is, its when you tune the E string to D(on 4 string) butwhats the purpose of this for one?

2. WHat do you tune all the other higher strings too?
  2. burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    The other strings stay the same, I think it's used to make it easier to play along to guitar power chords.
  3. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    It's used to be able to play a low D on a 4 string. You can get a Hipshot Xtender Key that replaces your tuning peg, you just flip a lever and you have low D, flip it back and you have E again. I used to put them on all my 4 string basses, but I play 5 strings these days. I still have one of the Hipshots here, it's a black Gotoh style tuner if you're interested PM me.

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:
  4. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Its more a guitar thing. It lets the guitarist play open fifths ("power chords") as a simple bar. Of course if the guitar does it the bass has to follow along, or use a 5 to grab those low Ds.
  5. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Also, because your tuning your 3rd and 4th strings in 5ths you can play voicings in a celloesqueness without retuning your whole bass to 5ths.