Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drop D players.... GET TOGETHER!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PollyBass, May 8, 2002.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Hi all. wondering about the people that use this tunning. the tunning my bass has been in for most of its career. What are some advatages of the tunning? what don't you like about it? Ive noticed that almost all bass instruction books or things never make room for it. guess it's taboo in that sorta thing. no big deal to transcribe it to D though, for some parts. anyone ever see any instrucion(books, that sorta thing.) for Drop D tunning? i never did when i started playing. So. D players GIVE IT UP!

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I dont really ever use drop D tuning, but its cool when youre playing a song in the key of D. It feels good to go down to that low note

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    D is for sissys.

I use GCGC and ADGCF (I know it's got D in it...but It's technically Open A)

4. actually, open A would mean that when you play all the open strings, you'd get an A major chord. something like, say, A E A Db A. usually used with guitars for slide playing. just FYI.

5. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Eat my shorts!!!!!!!!!

I´ve been playing droped D (actually Db) for 5 years and it rocks..... I can´t live without it.

..by the way..... 5´ers are for pussycats.....

:eek: :D :D :p

6. GCGC?????????????? May I ask why??? Just curiosity, I'm not flaming you...:D

7. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I can help you with that......... no charge, gratis,

bueno, bonito, y barato...... :D

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Get an extended range bass and there is no need for drop tuning.;)

9. True that, embellisher. I need a 5 desperately, simply for the more ways you can play stuff on it.........

10. I played dropped D for a long time. but once I started applying theory to the bass the dropped tuning had to go. now I play 5 string.
    maybe I'm just lazy, but the patterns you use in standard tuning make it (for me) so much easier to figure out songs, or play with different people or whatever.
    with the bass tuned in fourths, all of the scales, modes, and arpeggios are the same patterns all the time. I think it's also better for your ear, because you start to remember the sound of the intervals. so when you hear something in your head, it's that much easier to play.

exidor likes this.
  11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    C#, not Db. Natural major keys always have #'s, not b's.

I don't use drop D because I have a B string.

12. I'm a Drop C player - Drop D a whole step down. That's for 3 songs in my band's set. The rest are DGCF.

When I get my REX 2000/5, it'll be tuned ADGCF, with my four tuned CGCF permanently. The next fiver I get after that will be tuned BEADG.

It's great having 15" speakers, people :D.

13. if i'm talking about the individual strings, Db is the same thing. as soon as you play it as a chord, it's C#.

besides, you're wrong. the key of F major has 1 flat.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Because I have to wait for the canoe to get out of the garage before I can build my 5er that's going to be GCGCF. After that, a Fretless 5er that'll be another ADGCF, possibly standard tuning...

If I had Jaquo's sub-contra bass, C#, F#, B, E, THEN there would be no need for drop tuning.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, on a five-string, I can play drop-D#, drop-D, drop-C, OR drop-B without doing anything more than moving down one more fret on the neck. As you know, most professional bass players (if not all) don't even consider a four-string to be a bass these days.

16. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    You should try to play some of my metal bands stuff with a five string! I gave up and went back to my four string! It hurts like hell.

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    [hans und franz]

Aaawwwww, the littel gurlie man injured his pinky. Hear me now and belief me later, you fat and lazy babies stick to your gurlie four-strings.

[/hans und franz]

18. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    :rolleyes:

I play drop d - i love it! i have no use for anything else. occaisionally i use a c# in which case i get to detune a half-step, and honestly i enjoy re-tuning my bass - its fun :D

if i ever do get a 5 string its definitely going to have an open D (drop D) string. whether it goes ADGCF or not, we'll wait and see. :)

19. maybe professional session players. but i'd bet good money that the vast majority of touring bands have a 4-string behind 'em. it all depends on what you're trying to do.

20. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, i was thinking about a 5 string along time ago. then found it was harder to play the 5 than my 4 tuned to d. i needed that open D. Getting a five would make sense, if i wanted one, and i didn't need that open d. And yeah your right munji. What 4 string bassists these days are ANY good. well, not good ones, i can tell ya that.

PS: i hope everyone understands sarcasem. munji is GREAT at it.