1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Drop D string gauge

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mosura, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Mosura

Mosura

Sep 29, 2007
    Hi, I play a 20 fret p-bass copy. Lately my E string is just flapping around and it's kinda annoying. I was wondering what would be a good set/gauge of strings to buy for DADG tuning. Thanks...

2. I think regular gauge strings should work D is only 1 step down try a .105 or .110 if anything what strings do you currently have on now

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I've used the Ernie Ball Power Slinkies and they work really well for drop-D. I think the E string in that set is either a 110 or 115. The heavier guage of the other strings will definitely take some adjustment (and might require a tweak of the truss rod due to increased tension on the neck)... but once your hands get up to strength it is a really big, strong, solid sound.

4. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    What kind of string are you using now, Mosura? The reason I ask is that gauge is not the only factor is determining string tension. Often times, when a string is too loose, it is a round-core string. Look for a hexagon-core string (D'addarios and DR Lo-Riders), as they have more tension than strings with a round core, like EB Slinkys.

5. Rotosound has a Billy Sheehan signature set that is designed to do just that. Cannot remember which particular string model it is, but I think it is a set of 66s. :)

FG

6. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    IIRC, the Billy Sheehan set has a heavier than usual E string and a lighter than usual G (for bending/harmonics, maybe?). Which would definitely give a different feel and sound than, say, a Power Slinky set where all the strings are heavier across the board.