Drop D tuneing

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Rajun Cajun, Jan 20, 2001.

1. Rajun Cajun

Rajun Cajun

Nov 2, 2000
    How is it done? I have a korg ga-20 tuner if that helps
  2. Drop D tuneing usually refers to tuning the E string a whole step lower to D so that the tuning of the bass is lo-hi D-A-D-G. There are also a lot of the current rock guys that tune their basses D-G-C-F or Eb-Ab-Db-Gb to fit with the sound they want.
  3. If it is an automatic tuner, put your finger on the second fret of the E string, then tune it to E, then when you take your finger off the fret, you'll be in drop-D.

Or, tune the 7th E string fret and make it sound excctly like the A string.
  4. Although, most tuners SHOULD be able to let you tune your E to a D without having to fret anywhere on the E.
    Heck, most tuners should be able to tell you if your low B on a 5 string is in tune or not anyway, so a dropped D should be no problem.
    If it doesn't, well...you probably have an el-cheapo tuner. :D
  5. Hip shot makes a lever operated device that allows you to drop your tuning to a specified note by flipping the lever. They replace the low string tuner on your bass. you can find them at http://www.stewmac.com If you have time just tune the E string down to D and practice playing this way before you buy a special tuner.
  6. Rajun Cajun

Rajun Cajun

Nov 2, 2000
    Thanks for the advice guys
  7. Whoa! That thing sounds cool!

And Sheepman, yea, I have a Quik-Tune piece of crap!
  8. MuNkEy

Jul 4, 2000
    utica, ny
    i found that it was annoying to always be tuning down to drop d...so i did the smart thing and bought a 5-string. that low b helps alot.
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Musically speaking, can the B take the place of a D? Like if your guitars are drop Ded, does the B naturally match that D, or does it sound funky like the E does with the guitars D? Just wondering...
  10. MuNkEy

Jul 4, 2000
    utica, ny
    the tone of the d is different because the b string is thicker than the e-string, but it has the same effect because musically a low d is the same as a high d....they can be substituted for each other.