1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Drop D tuneing

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Rajun Cajun, Jan 20, 2001.

1. Rajun Cajun

Rajun Cajun

Nov 2, 2000
    How is it done? I have a korg ga-20 tuner if that helps

2. Drop D tuneing usually refers to tuning the E string a whole step lower to D so that the tuning of the bass is lo-hi D-A-D-G. There are also a lot of the current rock guys that tune their basses D-G-C-F or Eb-Ab-Db-Gb to fit with the sound they want.

3. If it is an automatic tuner, put your finger on the second fret of the E string, then tune it to E, then when you take your finger off the fret, you'll be in drop-D.

Or, tune the 7th E string fret and make it sound excctly like the A string.

4. Although, most tuners SHOULD be able to let you tune your E to a D without having to fret anywhere on the E.
    Heck, most tuners should be able to tell you if your low B on a 5 string is in tune or not anyway, so a dropped D should be no problem.
    If it doesn't, well...you probably have an el-cheapo tuner. :D

5. Hip shot makes a lever operated device that allows you to drop your tuning to a specified note by flipping the lever. They replace the low string tuner on your bass. you can find them at http://www.stewmac.com If you have time just tune the E string down to D and practice playing this way before you buy a special tuner.

6. Rajun Cajun

Rajun Cajun

Nov 2, 2000
    Thanks for the advice guys

7. Whoa! That thing sounds cool!

And Sheepman, yea, I have a Quik-Tune piece of crap!

8. MuNkEy

MuNkEy

Jul 4, 2000
    utica, ny
    i found that it was annoying to always be tuning down to drop d...so i did the smart thing and bought a 5-string. that low b helps alot.

9. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Musically speaking, can the B take the place of a D? Like if your guitars are drop Ded, does the B naturally match that D, or does it sound funky like the E does with the guitars D? Just wondering...

10. MuNkEy

MuNkEy

Jul 4, 2000
    utica, ny
    the tone of the d is different because the b string is thicker than the e-string, but it has the same effect because musically a low d is the same as a high d....they can be substituted for each other.