Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drop D tuner: Set up question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by aarono, Mar 16, 2006.

1. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    I have a drop D tuner on my Peavey Millenium Plus bass (I think that's the right model), but I notice the bass is starting to get set up properly now (just got the bass yesterday) but the one thing I can't get past is how to set my bass up to prevent buzz/flop when down tuning.

I don't think I'll use it often, but it'd be nice to know if I do drop tune on a moments notice it won't sound like crap.

Maybe I'll just have to play lighter.

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    what's your normal string tuning, and what is the dropped note tuned to? Just want to make sure I answer specific to your situation ...

All the best,

R

3. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    I tend to play in EADG to keep it simple.

When I flick the switch my tuner indicates I'm standing at a pretty solid D (not flat or sharp).

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Choices:

1) more truss relief
    2) higher barrel for that string
    3) higher gauge for that string
    4) better technique

5. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    Seems about right.

Thanks for the help.

These current strings are somewhat too bright compared to what I want. Someone has recommended "Chunky's" (very thick strings) from some brand that's not too known . Any other recommendations?

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    I wouldn't go too far beyond the norm as far as heavy strings are concerned, for other than the E which really only needs to go up a choice or two in thickness. As far as string choices, well, it's different for every bass, player, and rig, so there is no one answer. But read a string FAQ and that'll get you started in the right direction.

But ALWAYS examine your EQ habits (relates a lot to what your rig is capable of and where its limitations are) - and your hands technique. That's where Tone lives.

7. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    I'm finding I dig in and pull too hard. I'm trying to play lighter, but the faster the tempo the more often I do it.

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Yeah, I've gone through that - with drop tuning, and without. I use drop-A a lot on my Hiphsot-equipped basses, and pretty light gauges compared to what I used to use (now I'm on 125 or 128 for low B/A). And I always used to get more excitable at gigs ... even with a 135 I'd be capable of making bashy noises if I didn't pay attention. Much better now, and surprisingly my sound is more intense because the energy is going where it's supposed to go.

It's still easy to LOOK like I'm just bashing away though ; }

9. mrphattay

mrphattay Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Hi
    Log onto www.hipshotproducts.com
    I believe You'll find under the FAQ section (Bass-Drop D), info on proper tuning procedure for Drop-D. They lay out step-by-step protocol. Takes a little Tweaking, but Pretty simple.
    It's also included in flip-side of Installation Instructions that's included in original packaging.
    -Bill

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000