1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Drop D Tuner!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grass132456, Mar 17, 2013.

1. grass132456

grass132456

Sep 12, 2011
    So I just went to guitar center to try out some 5 string basses to see how they feel... and it didn't feel and sound something that I hoped for. all the basses I tried sounded kinda flat instead of like growly as I hoped for, so I decided, why not just put a drop D Tuner on my 4 string?
    And here I am! Just a few questions regarding to them:
    1. When it drops the E to a D, does the tension stay the same?
    2. There aren't a lot of brands that made them? But which one is the best? I keep hearing hipshot around here, is that the best one?
    3. Which is the "exact" tuner that will match my MIM Fender Deluxe P Special (it's a PJ tho)
    Thanks guys :D

2. ncapone

ncapone

Nov 17, 2010
    1. No
    2. I hear hipshot is good.
    3. Hipshot BT7

3. Truktek2

Truktek2

Sep 5, 2008
    Queens, NY
    1. No, D floppier
    2. Hipshot
    3. Dunno, call hipshot.

4. raebasso

raebasso

Jul 26, 2007
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    1. D is a bit floppier, but if you go with a higher tension string with a medium to medium heavy gauge, you'll hardly notice it (I use DR Lo-Riders with good success).
    2. Hipshot is the one to get, I've had one on every bass I've owned (Alembic, Warwick, Guild, Fender)
    3. Check the hipshot website, you'll figure out the correct one in no time :)

Enjoy!

5. 1. Less tension, after all, you're slackening the string to lower it down a full step.
    2. Hipshot. I've got 2 and they work great.
    3. BT7. just go buy one and tell us all about it.

6. I'm kinda looking for one of these as well. Are they tough to install? I'm guessing not, but wondering if you have to drill new holes or anything.

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Easy to install and set up properly, and they work very well... No extra holes to drill if you get one made for your bass... I have them on 3 basses, and really like them...

- georgestrings

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Agreed on all of the above - I typically run .105-.050 strings on my 4 strings, and drop tuning isn't an issue for me...

- georgestrings

9. By definition a lower not has to be lower tension, but you're not talking about much with this drop. You can see what it will feel like right now. Just tune down to D.

I ordered one on my new Sadowsky 5 and I'm seriously thinking about adding one to my other Sadowsky 5. I really like it and it's easy to set up. He uses Hipshot, but I'm not sure which one.

To answer you're main thought, "Why not get a Dtuner instead of a 5?" Well the Dtuner will only drop a step and a half. If you ever wanna go below a Db you'll have to change the string and reset the Dtuner