Drop D Tuning...best way to do this?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Steve Harris Is, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Steve Harris Is

Steve Harris Is

Jul 4, 2005
    I am wondering if anyone knows if my Korg GA-30 can be used to easily "Drop D" tune my bass? I'm a newbie player and I want to be able to adjust for the many rock songs that utilize this so any help would be appreciated...thanks!
  2. Tune the same as you normally would, then drop your low string to D.

If your tuner is the type that only shows standard notes (ex, EADG), tune normally, then drop the low string down, and slowly bring it back up until it sounds in unison with the D string, and in harmony with the A string.
  3. I dont see whats so difficult but...

The way I tune down to D (Although I play in DADG exclusively) is by ear. When you are in drop D perfectly, "A" should be on the 7th fret(As opposed to the 5th fret), And tweak it so that it rings out at the same speed of the open "A".
  4. Tom

Sep 7, 2005
    Davis, CA
    There are three grey buttons on the Korg GA-30. The one in the middle says "FLAT." Turn on the tuner, then press this button twice and you should see two flat symbols (bb) on the upper left of the screen. Now, when you tune your low string, it will be to D rather than E (confusingly enough, the readout will still say 4E on the tuner... but if the double flat symbol is there, you will be tuning to D).

Make sure that there are no flat symbols when you tune the other strings, though. Otherwise, you will end up tuning them all down a step (DGCF). To tune the other strings, press the FLAT button four more times until they disappear, then tune regularly.
  5. also... to go to drop D quickly (say between songs)... instead of using the harmonics on the 7th fret on the A string and 5th fret on the E string and removing the beats you hear... play the 12th fret harmonic on the A string and the 7th fret harmonic on the E string and remove the beats... (beats are the pulses you hear when the two waveforms are out of sync)

EDIT: Hey, sorry about going off on a tangent... I know you asked about your tuner, but i believe its easier to just tune with the harmonics than taking your lead out and plugging into the tuner... IMO of course..