1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

drop d tuning MIM precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thesloppyjuan, Apr 3, 2013.

1. thesloppyjuan

thesloppyjuan

Mar 30, 2013
    I have an '03 MIM precision that is my main bass for gigs and practice. The band I play with usually tunes to drop d and when doing this i've noticed when I play the last string which is droped to D it feels really loose and just doesn't sound as good as oppose to my other bass.

I've had this bass for ten years and bought it new but I would like to get it looked at by tech just because I never have before. Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Get a heavier E (D) string.

3. It's feels looser because you're dropping the tension on it to get it down to D so it will flop around a bit more than a string tuned to E. There's really nothing a tech can do about it. Youo could also try using a heavier gauge E string which will hold more tension when you drop to D.

...or you can install a drop D tuner (Hipshot) that allows you to drop to D just by moving a small lever on the tuner and then go back up to E for the next song w/o ever having to retune. I have these installed on several basses. Very cool if you move between E and D often.

4. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Definately just need a heavier E/Low D string. You can order a custom set from basssteingsonline.com from many different makes and models. Personally I suggest a .110 for dropped D because it works well for both standard E and the low D, ergo my ideal set so far when needing to play both on one bass has been 45-65-85-110.

Dunlop also has a new Heavy Core string set with different string core/wrap comstruction than your average string. Their 45-105 Heavy Core set is advertised as being good for dropped D. I have not played them so I can't comment on how much the larger core decreases the floppiness of the .105 low E string when downtuned to D.