Drop D tuning

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Komakino, May 6, 2001.

1. Hi folks, sorry if there's been a thread on this recently but I have just drop D'd by bass out of curiosity and because I fancied a change, and I was wondering if there are any benefits to having it tuned this way?
  2. Yes there are. The first and most obvious one being that you can reach a low D and Eb. Plus a lot of songs are tuned like this. Playing fifths and octaves are very easy to do. The only problem tuning it like this is that you'll have to get used to it. Example: If you play E string 5th fret, it will be a G. If the bass were tuned in the same intervals as standard, the A string at the 5th fret would be a C, but instead it's a D, if that makes any sense at all to you. I have lots of fun screwing around with tunings. What you might want to try is Drop D down a half a step, (Db, Ab, Db, Gb), or "Drop C", (C G C F). These tunings are basically the same as drop D tuning, just lower.

Have fun with it!
  3. BassJackson

May 6, 2001
    How does one tune to Drop D?
  4. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    You just turn the machine heads:D
  5. Seriously though, you tune the E-string down one step to a D.
  6. PuNk BaSSisT

PuNk BaSSisT

May 1, 2001
    one step = 2 frets down :D
  7. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    A lot of people ex. me, will use drop D so that you can hit the lower notes and all.

On the other hand, most people use drop D, cause it is easier for a male vocalist to sing in tune to, because he doesn't have to sing as high. My band usually drops half of a step down, to E flat for this reason.
  8. shafticus

Apr 12, 2000
    I have a question on dropping d tuning. What if u are too lazy to figure it out and would rather use a tuner? I mean where on the tuner would it be?(Sorry but im considerably new to bass)
  9. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    If you have a cheap tuner that is a "Bass/Guitar" Tuner then the only notes on there would be E A D G B and E, so you wouldn't be able to do it, if you have tuner that is chromatic (has all seven notes + their sharps/flats) then it is easy, play your E string and detune it till the tuner says it hears a D and it is in tune, then play the A till it reads a G, the D till it is a C, and the G till it is an F.
  10. sometimes it does work, but it'll read as the second string instead of the fourth. But if it still doesnt work, then you can tune it natural and tune the harmonic of the twelth fret to the second string or high d string.
  11. Down

Sep 11, 2000
    Umm..is it possible that this kind of tuning could any way do a damage to the bass??
    ´cause I´m going to tune my RBX-260 like DADG, and I´m a bit concerned about its effects to the bridge(or to the thing under the fretboard, I´m not sure how it is writen correctly).
  12. i have written 2 pieces that i do in drop-d. 1 is because it's near impossible for the guitarist to play the necessary chords without it, and on the other one i start out by doing a riff where i hammer notes on the d-string and pull off to open D, and i wanted to be able to repeat it an octave lower later on in the song.
  13. If you tune the 2nd fret to E then open will be D.
  14. not neccasarily, the difference between an E and an F is just one fret© Same with B and C©
  15. Beelzebob

Beelzebob Guest

Apr 2, 2001
    Hooksett, NH
    Drop D has it's place, though I don't use it often. When I was playing in a heavier band, we used it quite a lot. It doesn't have anything to do with the singers range (as Eb might) it just sounds "heavier". Tuned to Eb then Drop Db, now that is Slinky and heavy! If you are playing heavier music, detuning like this will add that much more power to the attack. Try to play something like Live in E and it just sounds wrong. Listen to Lakini's Juice and try to play that in E. It sounds way too tight and lord knows Ed sings so high, they don't detune to fit his vocals.

It's all preference and musical style.

16. I tuned drop D for a little over a year, but it is waaaaay to hard to read and play AND remember to alter your fingering a whole step for every note. Maybe I would have done better if I had stuck with it for a longer period... but it just got too frustrating after a while.

17. I've written one piece in Drop-D, only cuz I was playing some Godsmack the day before and didnt know what tuning I was in. But I do agree that it does give a much heavier attack, plus you get those couple of low notes, and octaves are easier to do. But thats just my opinion.