1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Drop D tuning

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MinorPentatonic, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Silly question no doubt but I see many of the modern rock songs talking about dropping D, which I take it is down tuning the E string to D.....yeah? Cos if that's all it is, I'll be away playing that Gorrilaz "Demon Days" riff that's doing my head in. :D

2. Yeah that's all it is. Tune DADG instead of EADG.

3. If I have to play something in D, I prefer to drop all the strings a step so that it feels the same.
    Tool plays in drop D. It's pretty well required that you drop only the D to play their songs, or else it makes some of the riffs extremely hard to play (i.e. Scism, 46&2, etc).

4. Vorak

Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    This is commonly called D standard. Your bass would be tuned in DGCF. Some bands take this a step farther and drop their D string to C (Mudvayne, Hatebreed, Shadows Fall, and most metal bands) so the bass is tuned CGCF.

5. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    that standard D thing is interesting... I hate tuning to drop D because it always makes me feel like a bass noob again.

6. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    My band did a song which uses drop D on our last gig. I decided that it would suck, and kept the standard tuning, transposing stuff when needed. It turned out to be quite fine eventually :)

7. Vorak

Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Well there are some talented bands that play in drop D tuning. Listen to Lamb of God. Their bass player and guitar players are phenominal and they tune to drop D. They don't just do easy power chords though like most nu-metal bands. Listen to "Laid to Rest". The bass follows the guitar part and the guitar part is pretty hard.

Check them out here.

8. Drop-D, hell, any tuning is just fine. Don't let people push their opinions of what's "right" or "wrong". You can play a power chord by using one finger...big whoop. It's not like playing power chords is hard in standard either. Drop-D has a fuller sound. If you write a lot of stuff in "D" Drop-D is a wonderful tuning as you get that beefy open D.

9. Drop D doesn't really make bass any easier, so there's no reason to disrespect it. However, I do think that it makes guitar too easy....
    IMO of course.