Drop D tuning

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MinorPentatonic, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Silly question no doubt but I see many of the modern rock songs talking about dropping D, which I take it is down tuning the E string to D.....yeah? Cos if that's all it is, I'll be away playing that Gorrilaz "Demon Days" riff that's doing my head in. :D
  2. Yeah that's all it is. Tune DADG instead of EADG.
  3. If I have to play something in D, I prefer to drop all the strings a step so that it feels the same.
    Tool plays in drop D. It's pretty well required that you drop only the D to play their songs, or else it makes some of the riffs extremely hard to play (i.e. Scism, 46&2, etc).
  4. Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    This is commonly called D standard. Your bass would be tuned in DGCF. Some bands take this a step farther and drop their D string to C (Mudvayne, Hatebreed, Shadows Fall, and most metal bands) so the bass is tuned CGCF.
  5. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    that standard D thing is interesting... I hate tuning to drop D because it always makes me feel like a bass noob again.
  6. CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    My band did a song which uses drop D on our last gig. I decided that it would suck, and kept the standard tuning, transposing stuff when needed. It turned out to be quite fine eventually :)
  7. Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Well there are some talented bands that play in drop D tuning. Listen to Lamb of God. Their bass player and guitar players are phenominal and they tune to drop D. They don't just do easy power chords though like most nu-metal bands. Listen to "Laid to Rest". The bass follows the guitar part and the guitar part is pretty hard.

Check them out here.
  8. Drop-D, hell, any tuning is just fine. Don't let people push their opinions of what's "right" or "wrong". You can play a power chord by using one finger...big whoop. It's not like playing power chords is hard in standard either. Drop-D has a fuller sound. If you write a lot of stuff in "D" Drop-D is a wonderful tuning as you get that beefy open D.
  9. Drop D doesn't really make bass any easier, so there's no reason to disrespect it. However, I do think that it makes guitar too easy....
    IMO of course.