drop-d tuning

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DrPants, Jul 30, 2001.

1. DrPants

Jul 30, 2001
    Carmel, Indiana
    i dont know how to drop the E string to a drop d! im just really stupid, so someone just please tell me...please?
  2. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    there are 3 or 4 ways to do this:

by the way, when I say D string I am referring to the 2nd string and when I say E string I am referring to the fourth.

1. use a tuner to tune the E string to D
    2. tune the E string by fretting it at the seventh fret (as opposed to the fifth) and playing the E and A strings. If they are the same note (A) you are in drop D.
    3. play the E and the D strings. tune down till it is a perfect octave.
    4 use harmonics. For drop D, I use the fifth fret harmonic of the E string and the 12th fret harmonic of the D string. When they are the same note, you are in drop D tuning. If you dont know what harmonics are, just ignore this one. I wont get into how to do harmonics right now...

that should be enough for now. there are probably other ways too (like using a piano) but these are the major ones.
  3. DrPants

Jul 30, 2001
    Carmel, Indiana
    thank you ever so much. :)
  4. hello,
    There is a technique i started using some time ago involving the parallel octaves that drop D tuning gives us access to.Use you index and your middle fingers and form the peace sign with them.Then position them over the strings in the parallel octave shape.Strike the strings in unison in a hammer down motion sounding both strings at the same time.I use this to simiulate an 8 string bass.Its really fattens up that bottom end.
    have fun.
    p e a c e
  5. Good technic Bo Bradley. I play D dropped because of my band´s guitarist Low trend, i like the punch of my lowered D. But the tension isn´t very nice for fast lick´s, but what a hell....:)