Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drop D????

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by nubassplayer, Mar 29, 2001.

1. nubassplayer

nubassplayer

Mar 26, 2001
    Indiana
    I'm a new player, so I still have a lot to learn. What exactly is this drop d thing? People have told me about a hipshot tuner or something. I have looked at it but still don't understand. How does it work? Does it work on every tuning key? Thanx

2. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    drop D is what guitarists want to use when they want to bore the hell out of the crowd and sound totally unoriginal and like every other **** band on the radio.

seriously though, its when the E string is tuned down to D

3. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    By using "dropped d" you simply tune the lowest of the four strings (usually) down, two ...er, pitches, till it is tuned "d", instead of "e".
    Guitarists are fond of it, since you can play power chords with one finger.

A hipshot is a new exciting way to use heroin.

4. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    uh, didn't i just say that?

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

There are a few recent threads here, both on drop- D tuning and on Hip Shot D-Tuners. Just do a search. All of your questions have been answered in these previous threads.

jo

6. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Eh...JWC, I guess your line was faster...the thread was empty when I was typing it.

I guess we just both gave the same dull answer, while thinking: "Hey, there is at least SOMETHING I know..."

7. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    No one really told you what a hipshot D-tuner was.
    Anyway, It's basically just a switch on your tuner that allows you to easily switch back and forth between regular and Dropped tunings.

travatron4000

8. Hey, I like Drop-D tuning...it's not the tuning that makes these bands sound like other bands, it's their "songs".