Drop D

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bass555, Jun 1, 2005.

1. bass555

Mar 16, 2005
    I never really thought about this until DropD tunings became the "rage" amongst gtr players...I was relatively early into the 5 string game, and, relatively well-schooled, so I just transposed every thing I needed onto the 5 string. Later, as I grew musically, I began to exploit the low B-C-C#D-D# notes into other basslines.

I like these notes.....a lot(!), and have incorporated then into my personal style of playing

I recently received a gorgeous 4 string, to which I am really unwilling to make any nut mods to accomodate a BEAD tuning, so I'm stuck with the EADG, but...I'm missing my lung-thumping lows

Anybody ever run tinto something like this and if you did, how did you cope
  2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    I use a hipshot detuner on my e-string. Works well for me.
  3. bass555

Mar 16, 2005
    that won't get me to a low B, will it? :crying:
  4. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    nope. They advertise that it can take you all the way to a low C, if you so desire, but I leave mine set just for one step down. It's nice to be able to switch to that at the flip of a lever, with no adverse effects, and then switch back up to play parts in normal positions.
  5. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Buy another 5...you can fix every problem if you own enough basses :)

I'm trying to learn to live without that low 4th myself. I'm in a new band that tunes 1 whole step down across the board and I can't get a low A to sound good, so my 5 is no D-Bb. I don't think there is really a substitute for those low notes.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You could do what Doug Pinnick of King's X does...just leave the normal strings on it and tune it down to B and F# instead of E and A and leave the rest of the bass at D and G.
  7. bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Tune the 4-string to BEAD and forget about the G. Just remember to get heavier strings and set it up for the difference in tension. How many songs do you use the G string for anyway? That's a question you have to answer yourself. :) I know that I rarely use it.
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm not a huge fan of fivers. I've been known to keep a bass tuned BEAD and one EADG with a Hipshot.