1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

drop G - doom metal - 4 string - wat do?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sonic assassin, Aug 4, 2012.

1. my buddy is playing instrumental drone/doom in drop G and he is doing so on standard E strings. its not working so well. string tension is pathetic, note definition is out the window. for recordings he has been using my 6 string and tuning the B down 2 steps. this is working as far as a recording goes, but still is not ideal. mostly because he needs it to work on his own bass.

its a mexi P bass. i turned him onto the idea of going baritone and tuning down, which he is up for. clearly he would need a new nut and a serious neck adjustment. but i got to thinking about all those contra bass guys and their crazy giant strings and maybe a brand like circle K has something that would be ideal for him.

i see that the warwick vampire dark lord (tuned F#BEA) uses a 175. he's a half step higher, so i was thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of 150-170 would work.

so guys, what direction should i be pointing him in? he uses a massive wall of distortion, and to be honest, doesnt really need super zingy strings. i told him flatwounds would give him more oomph and better fundamental. do they even make flats that big?

2. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    You should also remember that thicker strings like a 165 set tuned to G will put about the same amount of tension on the neck as a 100 or 105 set tuned to E so the neck adjustment may not be as serious as you think. The new nut will be the important part, and also making sure the slots on the bridge can accept strings that thick. Circle K would be the way to go in my opinion.

3. it was my understanding that any dramatic changes in strings would require a setup, especially as there is way TOO LITTLE tension on it now. i weep for that poor P bass.

assuming you're right, im sure it couldnt hurt to have the neck looked at :D

4. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Well if he's using a standard set of strings tuned to G then yea.. there's no tension and thus the truss rod may need to be tightened to accommodate a more 'realistic' tension that would come from using appropriate gauges.

5. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    A 'drop tune' 4 string set from Circle K Strings, .158 minimum (extra light), .174 would be medium tension. CKS are top load bridge only.

A setup and truss rod adjustment is essential for any new set of strings.

CKs are very clear, flexible and harmonic so would probably work better with distortion than flats, since distortion magnifies any inharmonicity, big flats would be very stiff and rather inharmonic (= harmonics out of tune with fundamental).

http://garrygoodman.com/octave4plus.com.htm for subcontra flats.