Drop-in PU (or rewind) for Kramer 250B

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bruiser Stone, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    The question was asked several years ago: Kramer Pickup Upgrades

Rather than necro the above thread, I’m hoping time and a fresh start will yield a few more suggestions.

According to Fralin’s FAQ page, they don’t do humbucker rewinds unless I misunderstand. A rewind would be ideal as I do not want to cut wood if it is avoidable, and I love the tone but would like more output.

Failing finding someone who can rewind it, if a drop-in replacement exists, or if someone could custom build something tonally as close as possible, I have an interest.

I understand from another TB post that Mike Dirnt used his 250B in “Longview.” That’s a good target.
    https://www.talkbass.com/threads/im-looking-for-mike-dirnts-longview-sound-what-eq-setting-should-i-use.364906/%3famp=1549404222

I can take pics later today or tomorrow after work if it would help.

Thx

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  2. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello. If it were mine, I would ask Curtis Novak first. He might be willing and able to make a drop-in replacement pickup that had higher output, but was otherwise sonically faithful to the original.

TN WOODMAN and Bruiser Stone like this.
  3. Bruiser Stone

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    This is very helpful. Thx for the suggestion. I’m receptive to more ideas, but I will start here.

Snaxster likes this.
  4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Bruiser Stone likes this.
  5. Bruiser Stone

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    ctmullins likes this.
  6. Curtis Novak came to mind 1st for me as well. I think he actually enjoys doing the not so run of the mill rewinds with stellar results by most accounts.

Ben Lindsey is another , but I haven’t seen any recent activity from him so not sure if he’s still in the business.

Ever popular Seymour Duncan at one time was open for custom rewinds. Solid rep there too.

Just checked out Sentell’s web site. Wow. Pretty impressive selection of classic style pickups. Would definitely put them on my short list.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  7. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    Our Custom Shop absolutely does rewinds, from returning to stock to something completely different.

8. Bruiser Stone

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    You should have a PM from me.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2021