1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drop tune - why is it looked down on?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by EatADeadGoat, Jan 1, 2011.

1. OOZMAN

OOZMAN

Jun 16, 2010
    Australia
    ^^^that

2. KwinS

KwinS Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth

I used that a long time ago in this thread. I worded it a little differently, but if you want to take credit for it, go ahead. It's no big deal.

3. bssist

bssist

Jun 23, 2007
    St. Louis, MO USA
    Well, I know this thread has been inactive for months but I just stumbled over it because I was considering tuning my 5-string in major thirds. I also skipped from the first page to the second to last so I missed a lot of the flaming and anger, as well as the actual answers to the original question. I would be interested in hearing what they are but I am not motivated enough to sift through the other irrelevant stuff to find it.

The reason I do not like playing with detuned guitars is ... I sing. After years of singing in particular keys and using earplugs the intonation and note choices are felt internally. To sing a tune in B when I have been doing it in C for 20 years creates a challenge. I have to pay more attention to make sure I am on key and in tune in stead of using my focus for nuance and delivery. I have heard many times, "It's relative dude, there's really no difference!" But it is not. Each note in each register has its own character and "feels" different. :oops:

I use a hipshot and have nothing against alternate tunings. I can sit in and play all day in Eb while the other guy plays it "in" E. :cool:

4. collins81

collins81

Jul 29, 2011
    Do "standard" purists throw around as much angst toward capo's? :eyebrow: This may have been covered somewhere between page 3 and 31. I didnt read through all 31 pages of post's, please forgive me.:bag:

5. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    I think standard purists only have issues with the ignorance from guitar players that can be thrown around by those using capos and drop tunings who don't know where they are in the music.

6. You're completely wrong, so I'm just going to ignore you... :p

Randy