1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drop tuner on a 5-string....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NelsonNelson, Dec 10, 2011.

1. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Sep 25, 2011
    I recently purchased a 5-string Carvin and it has a drop tuner on the B string. Is this even useful?

I'm not at the playing level where I am sure if I will ever use it...even entertained removing it for weight purposes. I guess it might make transposing easier?

2. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit Metro, MI USA
    I can't see why it would be on the B string....maybe on the E to play songs in drop D but how much lower do you need to go? :)
    Maybe it was strung differently at one time...

3. Impending Doom, a Christian death metal band (and one of my favorites) plays in drop A and G#. Crazy, eh? But that explains what that's for! Many death metal bands play that low.
    Speaking of Impending Doom, I own the bassist's old bass. Schecter riot-5 neck through. Nice shtufff.

4. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    The are some music genres that play in very low tunings. "B" is the new "E" as they say. Anyway that would work for dropping to a low A if you ever need to go that low. Most people don't. So you cold take it off and sell it if you know you'll never need it. Or if you have a 4 string, put it on that.