Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drop Tuners

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by FreeSpirit, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Just curious where i could find a drop d tuner. i believe thats what they are called. aswell what do you believe would be a reasonable price for one, and if you have one what do you think of it.(accuracy of d)

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hipshot makes them, you can check out their website at www.hipshotproducts.com. You can get them new depending on the model and finish they're around $70-95 or something. They're hard to initially tune, but if you take the 10 minutes and follow the directions to a T, it'll be more than worth it.

You can get them used somewhere around $50.

3. I'm curious.. How do these work? I had been out of the game for quite some time, and although I've seen these, I'm not sure how they work, or even what they are for?
    Could someone explain this?

Mag...

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The tuner is mounted to a plate which is attached directly to the headstock so the tuner itself is left to pivot. There is a lever attached to the plate which basically limits the rotation of the tuner (just like tuning sharper or flatter) and allows the string to tighten or loosen itself into tune.

It's more easy to understand if you get your mitts on one or look at this:

[​IMG]

5. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I swore by these things back in my old band. The guitarist could never stick to a single tuning, she was constantly jumping between D, D drop C and straight C#. I actually managed to get by with single bass, tuned 2 C# and equipped with a hipshot detuner. I used a capo on the 1st fret to get into D and D/C tuning.

6. Thanks for the explanation. Yeah, you're right. I'd have to have my hands on one to fully see what you're talking about. I take it that you can set the tune on it and the drop tune, then use the lever to rotate between the two settings for that string? How accurate is the tuning once you get it set?

Interesting..

Mag...

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Magneto, once you get it set, it's great... I never had to reset my Stingray for a year even across six sets of strings (identical brand of course) so they're amazing!

8. +1

Brian

9. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Stewart-MacDonald has them the cheapest I've seen. Fender-style for $58:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Bass/Hipshot_Bass_Extender_Keys.html

And yeah, once you've got them dialed, they stay in tune, even after changing strings. I'm paranoid, so I always check, but I'm always impressed with how well they stay put.

10. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    ah these things are just what im looking for.
    im playing in a hardcore/metal band, and half the time my guitarists swear by drop d, and then they'll write a song on their acoustics and say 'guys, its gotta be standard'
    i wish they'd make up their mind, because turnning up and down between songs isn't my favourite thing to do.
    do most music stores stock these? or would this be something id need to pick up off the internet.
    thanks for this post, what a great find.