1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drop tuning a short scale

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by superheavyfunk, Jan 19, 2020.

1. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Do any of you tune your short scale basses to D overall or BEAD, or something else? If so, what strings did you choose and why?

I'd like to tune my shorty bass to D overall... On my regular scale basses, one is tuned to standard and wears DR Lo-Riders exclusively. The other is tuned to BEAD and sports Pressurewounds with a .128 B string. DR doesn't seem to make short scale LoRiders, and while the GHS strings are good, i'm interested in seeing what other options ppl have tried and liked.

Thanks for your input!

2. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I tune my 32" scale down a half step and find the string
    action still feels good for gigging, never tried a shorty.
    I would think going BEAD might not work so well on a 30 in scale.

3. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    I tried it briefly. It was way too much on the Gibson SG.

4. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    You can definitely do it. I put one of our artists short scale basses in Drop C. You are going to have to hunt for singles that will work for your needs though. It’s not a “grab a packaged set” type of situation.

knumbskull and superheavyfunk like this.
  5. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Yeah, I assumed as much. That's why I was hoping to get some info about what other ppl are using, so I'd have a starting point to work from.