Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drop Tuning and Buzzing

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by txgxa, Mar 31, 2005.

1. txgxa

txgxa

Mar 30, 2005
    why does my bass seem to buzz on the fretboard.
    I've tried raising the bridge but it doesnt help.
    anyone help?
    My Bass Is Tuned CGCF. It is a 4 String Fender Jazz(Standard)

2. That's because your strings are too slack and are rattling about. It may also be because the loss of tension on the neck has meant it has bent backwards. Look for some heavy gauge strings ie .110 for the C(mebbe even heavier if you can find them).

3. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Heavier strings will definitely help, but if the neck is out of wack it won't solve your problem. I would go get it setup for C tuning. Have the truss rod adjusted so theres more tension on the strings. Usually done by flatening the neck a bit. Also when you raise the saddles, or adjust the neck, you throw off the intonation.

4. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Also, a little bit of buzz on a bass is ok, when played acoustically. If its coming through your amp, or its fretting out on certain notes...it's probably a setup issue. C tuning is tricky, I use a set of DR 45-105 strings, but I swapped the low C (105) for a 110 which helped alot.

5. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    I eliminated most of the buzzing by doing a complete setup on mine, still using 45-105's. The saddles are now moved a bit back, truss rod tweaked, and action raised. It's amazing how much more enjoyable it is to play when set up right. It still buzzes a tad, but it's nothing noticeable with the amp turned up.