Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drop tuning E to D

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by OrioN_2k, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Simple question, I have a 4 string. E A D G and I'd like to drop the E to D for a few punk songs I want to learn. What's an easy way? I have a chromatic tuner if that helps any.
    Tom.

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Why on earth you would want to downtune for punk is beyond me, but ah well :D

Well, what is one letter before E? D
    Before A? G
    Before D? C
    Before G? F

So with your chromatic tuner, if it can be tuned manually that is, select D, then tune your E to a D. Basically being tuned to EADG as a normal bass is you are dropping it down one step. One step=One Note/Letter

EADG dropped one step/do D is tuned DGCF

:)

3. If you don't have a tuner, and if your ear is pretty good by now, tune your open E till the pitch matches that of your open D or the 5th fret on the A (which also happens to be D). Repeat this with the others by dropping one whole step.

4. Couple songs by JimmyEat World, E is dropped to D. And thanks for the info. I've still got a lot to learn.

:D

5. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    the real easy way is to spend the $75 to get a hipshot bass extender key. just flip the lever, and you are down to a D.

hipshot

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Easy, just drop it one step, instead of the 5th fret method, use the 7th fret method! hold down the e string (soon to be d) at the 7th, and keep playing and de tunning it till they match! batta big! batta boom! Or just wip out the tunner and string the open e, then hit it as your de tunning to d, all the way till you get it.

7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I have been under the impression that drop D tuning on a four string bass meant that only the E string is downtuned to D. The three other strings retain their original tuning. In fact, that is how I have played songs that called for Drop D tuning.

That is why the Hip Shot D-Tuner is so handy. It drops the E to D with only a flick of the lever. As there is no need to detune the other strings, there is no need to have a Hip Shot device for each of them as well. (And the headstock would get pretty crowded with four HipShot devices.)

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    "Dropped D" Is taking the e string and dropping it to d. "D tuning" is taking your whole bass down a step. "De" tunning is lowering the tuning of your bass.

9. Yep, took the bass into my local shop and am going to get one after I save some money.

Tom.