1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drop tuning on a 34 scale lenght 5string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Max Schupp, May 6, 2020.

1. Hey guys,
    i want to play in 2 different tunings: agcfa and cgcfa, is that possible on my ibanez sr375e?
    And if so, which string gauges would you recommend ?
    Cheers

2. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    I don't think it's possible to install Hipshot GB7 Xtender on the SR375E, cause the tuning machines are configured as 3 bass side + 2 treble side. On this kind of configuration, possibly there's not enough space on the back of the headstock between the lowest string tuning machine and the neck volute for the Xtender mechanism.

Had it been other Ibanez SR 5 string with tuning machines on the headstock configured as 2 bass side + 3 treble side, there's possibility to use the GB7 Xtender, based on the following picture I got from googling and some older post on TB which showed a BTB 5er (which tuning machines were also configured as 2 bass + 3 treble), which had the Xtender installed, as it had enough space at the back of the headstock for it.

[​IMG]

Max Schupp likes this.
  3. damn that would be handy :S but yeah, i also think this wouldnt fit on my bass

Aidil likes this.
  4. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Yes it is possible.
    For the A <-> C i suggest a .135 is optimum.
    The higher string gauges depend on your tension preference, what gauges do you like for EADG?

5. its my first bass and i put regular slinky ernies 45-130 on it. i dunno if thats any good, but ernies slinkies are what i've used for years now on guitar so i went with that, no problems with them so far :)

6. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    DR has a string line specifically for drop tuning called DDT (Drop Down Tuning). DR makes great strings. You should try those for good stability with drop tunings.

Max Schupp likes this.
  7. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    DR DDT gauges are not suitable for your tunings.
    First see my reply Drop tunings
    DR DDT are gauged for all-fourths tunings, your unusual tunings are very different, containing a sixth in one tuning.
    GCFA is tuned up from standard EADG by (mostly) 3 semitones, DR DDT do not have gauges that are suitable for that, the lightest they do is .100-.040.

As you are using .100 .080 .065 .045 for EADG, for GCFA i suggest .090 .070 .050 .030 for similar tensions.
    So my suggested gauges are .135 .090 .070 .050 .030, which is an extra light 4 string set plus a single .135.

DR DDT are not a panacea for all possible low, drop or weird tunings.

Max Schupp likes this.
  8. Thanks , that was really helpful :)

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021